Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Breithaupt Block | 16 m | 4 fl | Complete
Viewfromthe42, you say that about nearly every development proposed or rumoured. I'm not saying you're usually wrong, of course...

A lot of the properties on Wellington are not owner-occupied (a duplex just sold on that block advertised the fact that it backed onto the parking lot). It would be in their interest to advocate strongly for higher and denser, for the sake of their own property values in the future.

But I would agree that they're unlikely to get much extra height at that corner (as someone who can see this site from my house, I would say unfortunately).

(05-03-2017, 01:18 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Approximately no chance it gets above 2-3 storeys, I would think, given how many neighbours only begrudgingly accepted the breithaupt block addition because it preserved the original building. There's no motivation for neighbours to accept anything, and Kitchener's council has not shown any willingness to ask anything of residents. Maybe I'm a tiny bit pessimistic, but this is what we've seen so far.

That mid-town site would seem suited to six stories or so, istm.  If you think a few venting neighbours would have much impact on what would be approved for Google, then you have vastly more confidence in the power of neighbours than do I.  I would be hard-pressed to come up with any serious arguments against a mid-rise office at that location.
Nothing would make me happier than to be wrong. But indeed, I can't think of a development that's surprised me, that's gotten what I hoped would be acceptable, let alone what I think would be ideal.
I always thought that parking lot would take 10+ years to be developed. Google being there really changed things I guess
I wonder if there is any connection between the SIXO delay and the Google expansion rumour.
(05-03-2017, 12:21 PM)ibuildstuff Wrote:
(02-15-2016, 02:22 PM)MidTowner Wrote: I think it will be a good long while before it makes rational sense to redevelop that parking lot. But who knows, maybe Google will one day need to significantly expand its work force while staying in their current location and having the new employees close by.

Rumour is, Google is planning another building for that parking lot now. Guess they need more space already... should be interesting to see.

And we've actually got some concrete evidence now. From the Record:

Quote:The Canada Green Building Council, which holds the licence for the LEED rating system in Canada, said in a news release that Google intends to target LEED v4 for the second phase of its Kitchener offices.

Exciting stuff!
Hmm...
I think "Phase 2" might be referring to part of the original Breithaupt Block development.
Google Canada (Phase 1 & 2)

(05-05-2017, 10:54 AM)KingandWeber Wrote:
Quote:The Canada Green Building Council, which holds the licence for the LEED rating system in Canada, said in a news release that Google intends to target LEED v4 for the second phase of its Kitchener offices.

Exciting stuff!

Here is the press release:
http://www.cagbc.org/News/EN/2017/20170425.aspx
From the press release the wording makes it sound like phase 2 has not been started.

"This will help as Google Office Phase 2 gets underway, which is also targeting LEED v4."
Sounds like. I would say that KingandWeber's initial interpretation was correct. And it is an exciting prospect!
The Midtown KW web page has an update on info on an application to change zoning on the lots at the east corner of Moore Ave and Wellington Street (currently Breithaupt Block's parking lot).

Everything about the proposal sounds great: twelve storey office building, five storey parking lot with 651 spaces, 27,000 square metres of office space and 876 square metres of retail. My only very small quibble is that the retail would front Breithaupt; it would better front either Moore or Wellington. But no big deal. A parkette is proposed for the corner of Moore and Wellington.

The design also looks great from what little is shown, corresponding to the modern elements of the existing Breithaupt Block building.

This would be transformative for the neighbourhood, to say the least. Not everyone will like that, but I'm excited that the application has been made so soon after occupancy of the first buildings. Great sign.
Do you know if this is the rumoured Google phase II?
Given how pedestrianized that render shows Briethaupt, I doubt they have any other tenant in mind.

Has Google occupied any of the new build portion of the Breithaupt Block (sorry, I've been away for over a year now)?
(10-05-2017, 11:03 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Has Google occupied any of the new build portion of the Breithaupt Block?

Yes, they are in the shiny glass part for sure.

And here's the render of this new development:

I think putting storefronts on Breithaupt is fine. I don't think that Moore or Wellington have any inherent features that make them a better choice. They are more "major" roads, but they're not destinations as yet either. Proximity to the Hub and the LRT station is preferable, as far as I'm considered.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »