Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Jake Condominiums | 6 fl | U/C
The Jake Condominiums
101 Golden Eagle Rd, Waterloo
VanMar Developments

[Image: XQ0tfya.png]

The Jake Condominiums is a new condo development by VanMar Developments currently in preconstruction. 
It is 6 stories and has a total of 106 units.

https://www.condoculture.ca/buildings/th...d-waterloo
https://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/ca/the-jake-condominiums

This is near Weber and Northfield, across Weber from the new Sobey's.It's apparently a "new luxury condominium development".

It looks like some townhome condo units would have to be demolished for this to be built based on Google Maps.
Assuming the new development replaces both 101 and 105 Golden Eagle Rd, it's somewhere between 20 and 25 existing townhouses. As far as intensification goes, it's a good thing. It's not affordable housing, but townhouse condos are still more attainable than single-family housing -- and usually larger than high-rise condo units.
Alternate headline: "20 to 25 family homes to be replaced by single bedroom condos targeted at investors"

(There are no published floor plans, but I will be very surprised if this building includes anything that could house a family)
(11-28-2021, 02:16 AM)nms Wrote: Alternate headline: "20 to 25 family homes to be replaced by 106 single bedroom condos targeted at investors"

Fixed that for you. Couples are families, too, just smaller ones.

And I do think investors are significantly less interested in mid-rise buildings.
Renderings posted by Condo Culture:

[Image: 1CAGt5h.jpg][Image: jl70Df6.jpg]
We definitely need more projects like this all over the city. Low to mid rise apartments in every neighbourhood. Although investors tend to prey on these kind of projects, the more we have, the less their investments will make financial sense for them. Increase the housing stock so people can get homes and then the investors can piss off and go invest in crypto or some other nonsense.

(01-27-2022, 05:27 PM)ac3r Wrote: We definitely need more projects like this all over the city. Low to mid rise apartments in every neighbourhood. Although investors tend to prey on these kind of projects, the more we have, the less their investments will make financial sense for them. Increase the housing stock so people can get homes and then the investors can piss off and go invest in crypto or some other nonsense.

Speaking of which, Cory Doctorow wrote about capitalists investing in real estate today: https://pluralistic.net/2022/01/27/extra...-slumlords
Floorplans here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/mobile/fo...sp=sharing
Crane went up today.
[Image: xlCNe5C.jpg]
This one is topped out
I recently realized that you can see this one from the highway when you're headed north.

Was looking at listings for units here now that it’s taken occupancy. Unlike many new builds, I was surprised to see how similar the lobby looks to the renders
[Image: HSnc7TU.jpeg][Image: se6ytqR.jpeg]
[Image: TGzC1qH.jpeg][Image: g5U4XuT.jpeg]
Wow. I am impressed. They obviously had to make a few changes to accommodate services, but what was built looks pretty accurate to the renders. I like it, there is a simple elegance to the space.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »