Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.57 Average
City Centre/Young Condominiums | 17, 25 & 6 fl | U/C
(10-13-2018, 10:37 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(10-12-2018, 08:31 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Worse, many would want to live in mid density neighbourhoods, out of large towers, but still in walkable areas with a moderate density of housing, and the have near zero options for that lifestyle in KW.

Mid-rise apartments and stacked/unstacked townhouses are popping up in many places, but the development projects typically don't have the high profile of tall condo/apartment towers. We still need more, but the trend is right. Victoria Commons, RED, Walter, Barra, Midtown, Lancaster St townhouses, 262-282 Queen (if they can get it approved), Victoria/Margaret, 51 David, Courtland Ave townhouses, Cortez, Woodside Terraces, Southdale Ave, King & Wellington, 453 Park, 388 King St E.

I'm sure there are more that I can't think of at the moment. I do agree that there are not enough mid-rise options at this point, though, but hopefully this trend continues.

Some of those are not really what I mean by mid density, I would consider RED and Cortez to still be pretty big.  Certainly they'd garner opposition if built in an existing neighbourhood.

A few examples of the size of project I meant are here:  https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4462876,-...bfov%3D100

They're not particularly nice buildings, but they are completely within the size and scope of the neighbourhood they're within.  Driving by you'd barely even notice they aren't houses.

Others are not particularly walkable, Victoria Commons for example is far from most amenities, not really walkable.

But you're right, there exist a few, but that's the point. When only a small area is zoned for redevelopment, midrise cannot provide the density we need. The city has failed to rezone substantial areas for midrise development, so I think we'll be stuck with mainly highrise--which I don't mind, I live in a tower now, but I know others do not.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: City Centre/Young Condominiums | 67 & 46 m | 17 & 12 fl | U/C - by danbrotherston - 10-13-2018, 10:46 AM
Re: City Centre Condominiums - by rangersfan - 08-25-2014, 09:52 PM
[No subject] - by rangersfan - 08-25-2014, 10:53 PM