Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.57 Average
City Centre/Young Condominiums | 17, 25 & 6 fl | U/C
(05-15-2018, 10:55 PM)rangersfan Wrote: So is the office building fronting King St a new addition to the project?

No, it was always considered but as a podium of the residential tower... now it is a semi-standalone building

I wonder if that means they're now thinking of going ahead with the second tower but holding off on the building fronting on King?
Wouldn't it make sense to do it all at once? Or am I still picturing this whole thing wrong?
(05-17-2018, 09:03 PM)Spokes Wrote: Wouldn't it make sense to do it all at once?  Or am I still picturing this whole thing wrong?

It might make sense, or not so much if there's nobody lining up for the office and retail space.
There is a billboard up on Homer Watson advertising Young Condos with the render recently posted above, so that confirms what the project will look like.
Well...I found an interesting render which makes everything make sense.

So by the looks of it, the tower will not be on either Young Street or King, but rather Duke. I am confused though, some of that parking back there I thought belonged to someone else (it is not city parking, nor City Centre, IIRC.  That would be right beside that burger joint that is only open May - September.

Attached Files Image(s)

"H" for hotel?

(05-30-2018, 09:07 PM)panamaniac Wrote: "H" for hotel?

No... "H" is just a numbering/lettering system. Projects done, in progress, or in review, would be labelled 1-9 or whatever or A-Z or whatever.

Though, not saying it couldn't a hotel.
I don't believe Jack Burger has any of its own parking. I've been under the impression that, awkward piecemeal layout aside, it's all one big municipal lot.
So a five-floor office building. That's good, though. And I think we're not desperate for another hotel at the moment, with both Walper and Crown Plaza in good shape.
(05-30-2018, 10:54 PM)Markster Wrote: I don't believe Jack Burger has any of its own parking. I've been under the impression that, awkward piecemeal layout aside, it's all one big municipal lot.

There is an area between Jack's Burger and the "city owned" lot that is owned by someone else. By the looks of it, when Young Condo's are build, that area will be part of the new condo's.

See image below, the darker shade of orange, or whatever colour that is, is city owned, the lighter shade are either buildings (in this case, the extreme bottom right is Elements, the top right is Jack Burger, but the light shading beside Jack Burger is also a lot, but not owned by the city.

Attached Files Image(s)

I vaguely remember something about thi parking lot being originally planned to be some sort of courtyard, or amphitheatre or something, in between the 2 buildings. Someone tell me i'm not hallucinating?
(05-31-2018, 12:20 PM)GtwoK Wrote: I vaguely remember something about thi parking lot being originally planned to be some sort of courtyard, or amphitheatre or something, in between the 2 buildings. Someone tell me i'm not hallucinating?

You are not.  I'd like to see the original render of the project - it seems to me that the latest version has been "dumbed down".

(05-31-2018, 12:20 PM)GtwoK Wrote: I vaguely remember something about thi parking lot being originally planned to be some sort of courtyard, or amphitheatre or something, in between the 2 buildings. Someone tell me i'm not hallucinating?

No, you're fine, and I can't find the original render, but IIRC, there was also some sort of inner sanctuary as well, between the two towers. It also included improvements to the know demolished hotel.
(05-31-2018, 03:56 PM)jeffster Wrote:

No, you're fine, and I can't find the original render, but IIRC, there was also some sort of inner sanctuary as well, between the two towers. It also included improvements to the know demolished hotel.

The Mayfair was a separate proposal.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »