Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.57 Average
City Centre/Young Condominiums | 17, 25 & 6 fl | U/C
A higher-level view.

I find this doesn't feel as wide as it appeared in the renderings. The orientation of the building made it seem like this would be an absolutely massive building when viewed from King Street but it looks pretty normal. Depending on what moves in on the ground floor, this building is could really activate the street.

So...a grocery store, please?
One can hope.
(10-27-2020, 11:07 AM)ac3r Wrote: I find this doesn't feel as wide as it appeared in the renderings. The orientation of the building made it seem like this would be an absolutely massive building when viewed from King Street but it looks pretty normal. Depending on what moves in on the ground floor, this building is could really activate the street.

So...a grocery store, please?

If the announced store at 276 works out, a second store in the short term would be pretty unlikely.
I have a feeling like a grocery store is the only possible retail that could occupy this space. It is huge, and very large floor to ceiling height. I would love if it was a nofirlls, but I could see an urban zehrs in this location. I have not seen any drawings for this though, as it would have to have a loading bay of some sort incorporated into the parking garage.  I don't see an issue between a grocery store at 276 and this. Yes they would be close, but I think they would be serving different purposes.  Marcello's is going to be serving the specialty groceries, I doubt people will be shopping there for there weekly essentials.
A furniture store could live there, or an electronics store, or a sporting goods store, or an H&M, or a Uniqlo, or ...

Marcheleo's does carry daily staples (milk, eggs, cereal, bread etc) as well, at least in their Toronto location (as does SDM for that matter) -- in that regard they are different from Vincenzo's.
(10-27-2020, 02:00 PM)tomh009 Wrote: A furniture store could live there, or an electronics store, or a sporting goods store, or an H&M, or a Uniqlo, or ...

Marcheleo's does carry daily staples (milk, eggs, cereal, bread etc) as well, at least in their Toronto location (as does SDM for that matter) -- in that regard they are different from Vincenzo's.
I would be happy with a BestBuy, chapters or any of the stores you just mentions. I hate the fact that I have to drive to fairway rd to shop at those types of stores. Would much prefer to walk dtk. I do think it is something our downtowns could work on. I feel like the only option is to go to the suburban plazas if I want to go to a Canadian tire or winners type stores. I know that is the nature of these retailers but i feel like every major city in the country has urban versions of these suburban box stores and they seem to work.  Maybe Adventure guide will come to its senses and relocate from the boardwalk. One can hope. 

My point is more that Marcheleo's won't necessarily be known for its cheep prices. It is a specialty store focusing on healthy organic eating. Not something I would personally go to for my weekly shopping list.

(10-27-2020, 01:52 PM)westwardloo Wrote: I have a feeling like a grocery store is the only possible retail that could occupy this space. It is huge, and very large floor to ceiling height. I would love if it was a nofirlls, but I could see an urban zehrs in this location. I have not seen any drawings for this though, as it would have to have a loading bay of some sort incorporated into the parking garage.  I don't see an issue between a grocery store at 276 and this. Yes they would be close, but I think they would be serving different purposes.  Marcello's is going to be serving the specialty groceries, I doubt people will be shopping there for there weekly essentials.
Does Zehrs do urban format?  Is there space for loading docks at the back?
Surely the ground floor space can be/will be subdivided into smaller units?
(10-27-2020, 03:57 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(10-27-2020, 01:52 PM)westwardloo Wrote: I have a feeling like a grocery store is the only possible retail that could occupy this space. It is huge, and very large floor to ceiling height. I would love if it was a nofirlls, but I could see an urban zehrs in this location. I have not seen any drawings for this though, as it would have to have a loading bay of some sort incorporated into the parking garage.  I don't see an issue between a grocery store at 276 and this. Yes they would be close, but I think they would be serving different purposes.  Marcello's is going to be serving the specialty groceries, I doubt people will be shopping there for there weekly essentials.
Does Zehrs do urban format?  Is there space for loading docks at the back?
Surely the ground floor space can be/will be subdivided into smaller units?
Zehrs is owned by loblaws, which has a few urban format stores. I would assume if Loblaws chose to set up an urban store DTK it would use the Zehrs branding as that is a locally known name.

I haven't seen drawings so your guess is as good as mine. In the render they have the stores subdivided, but i am sure internal dividing walls won't be constructed until a suitable tenant is found.
I wonder if they'd consider a 2nd Farm Boy in Kitchener to put at that location. Or Dutchies? As other mentioned, a urban Zehrs would work too. I think we're a long way from getting places like BestBuy or H&M in DTK. Maybe 5 years from now when we have thousands more living in the core. The Core...gives me an idea for a cheesy movie night.
(10-27-2020, 10:37 PM)jeffster Wrote: I wonder if they'd consider a 2nd Farm Boy in Kitchener to put at that location. Or Dutchies? As other mentioned, a urban Zehrs would work too. I think we're a long way from getting places like BestBuy or H&M in DTK. Maybe 5 years from now when we have thousands more living in the core. The Core...gives me an idea for a cheesy movie night.
I have to agree with you I think those retailers are going to set up shop DTK anytime soon. I would be happy if that 5 years away, I think closer to 10 years and who knows what the retail landscape will look like then. If we didn't have 2 failed malls still existing downtown I could see it happening sooner.  I know a lot of people like the mom and pop shop style of downtown, me included, but I would argue a chapters, best buy, Urban outfitters, etc.  would draw some people downtown, which would turn into secondary shoppers at the mom and pop shops.
That would be amazing - seeing a H&M or a Best buy or both, creating a Toronto downtown-eque Queen St. Vibe. Sadly, you would need like 10+ shops to come close. They CAN be 'ma and pa', it's just harder to get folks in. What was that one cool clothing store where I think Wine Rack is currently? I think urban clothing after that too, but alas did not survive...

Also, what I'm thinking, is we aim for a look such as Lakeshore in Oakville. We dont have the major pull of the Lake obv but something like a Lululemon would do wonders with draw. We have the Starbucks now, we have a few great restos - need a few more - the City should entice and attract some big name stores. Above Starbucks could have gone an Anthropology or it could be placed downstairs here in this condo...

We are getting cannabis but quite frankly - and this is not a commentary on marijuana - I would have liked to see something other than more drugs and more booze in DTK.
(10-27-2020, 10:37 PM)jeffster Wrote: I wonder if they'd consider a 2nd Farm Boy in Kitchener to put at that location. Or Dutchies? As other mentioned, a urban Zehrs would work too. I think we're a long way from getting places like BestBuy or H&M in DTK. Maybe 5 years from now when we have thousands more living in the core. The Core...gives me an idea for a cheesy movie night.

I'm not sure where I'd put it, but I'm surprised that Farm Boy hasn't opened a location in Waterloo.  Is the one in Kitchener doing well?  Ottawa loves its Farm Boys!

(10-28-2020, 10:44 AM)panamaniac Wrote:

I'm not sure where I'd put it, but I'm surprised that Farm Boy hasn't opened a location in Waterloo.  Is the one in Kitchener doing well?  Ottawa loves its Farm Boys!
Farm Boy is coming to King and Weber in Waterloo at the corner where the old Husky Gas was.
If its a Sobeys brand we are thinking may land in downtown I would probably guess they would do a Sobeys Urban Fresh or a FreshCo there. These are brands that they already have in condo buildings in Toronto.
(10-28-2020, 11:04 AM)neonjoe Wrote:
(10-28-2020, 10:44 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I'm not sure where I'd put it, but I'm surprised that Farm Boy hasn't opened a location in Waterloo.  Is the one in Kitchener doing well?  Ottawa loves its Farm Boys!
Farm Boy is coming to King and Weber in Waterloo at the corner where the old Husky Gas was.
If its a Sobeys brand we are thinking may land in downtown I would probably guess they would do a Sobeys Urban Fresh or a FreshCo there. These are brands that they already have in condo buildings in Toronto.
"Sobeys Urban Fresh" are being converted to Farm Boys, no?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »