Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.57 Average
City Centre/Young Condominiums | 17, 25 & 6 fl | U/C
Looks like construction starts on Monday!

[Image: OYalUaQ.png]

There was excitement here about that sign; over at CTV news they featured people's complaints about losing parking.

I wonder what that the assessment on this new building will be...bet the property taxes will be worth more than what the City is charging for parking.
(06-13-2019, 01:58 PM)MidTowner Wrote: There was excitement here about that sign; over at CTV news they featured people's complaints about losing parking.

I wonder what that the assessment on this new building will be...bet the property taxes will be worth more than what the City is charging for parking.

Aren’t the complaints bogus anyway? I mean, in the sense that there is, in fact, lots of available parking very nearby. “I’m losing my parking, and the nearest replacement is pretty far away” could be a legitimate complaint (shouldn’t necessarily control what anybody else does, but could be legitimate), whereas “I’m losing my favourite parking spot” isn’t a legitimate complaint at all.
(06-13-2019, 07:30 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(06-13-2019, 01:58 PM)MidTowner Wrote: There was excitement here about that sign; over at CTV news they featured people's complaints about losing parking.

Aren’t the complaints bogus anyway? I mean, in the sense that there is, in fact, lots of available parking very nearby. “I’m losing my parking, and the nearest replacement is pretty far away” could be a legitimate complaint (shouldn’t necessarily control what anybody else does, but could be legitimate), whereas “I’m losing my favourite parking spot” isn’t a legitimate complaint at all.

Lol, at least one comment was "where will I park, there's no nearby parking.", and with good reason, the article basically says that (including interviewing someone who doesn't visit DTK because of no parking). Yet this is across the road from the City Hall parking garage, and on the same block as the Duke St. garage.  Failing to mention this fact along with the parking studies which show plenty of empty space is a pretty glaring omission, although I do give them credit for talking about how parking is less important DTK.
There's SO much parking in DTK, I don't understand how you can try to argue that
On the CTV news video, the reporter said that on Andrin website it has 2? towers at 23 storeys listed for this development. News to me, when I checked both websites for this development, only had 1 listed.
Is this in the CTV coverage of the loss of parking? Because the city sold the land as one deal for both towers (the already built phase one + Young). So I bet they just misunderstood.

(06-16-2019, 02:39 AM)taylortbb Wrote: Is this in the CTV coverage of the loss of parking? Because the city sold the land as one deal for both towers (the already built phase one + Young). So I bet they just misunderstood.

Yes.  Well, if that reporter followed this thread, she would know that the first tower was 17 storeys, lol, but she said 2 towers of 23 storeys will be built by 2021.
When is the City expecting to build the next parking garage? It's to be on Charles between Water and Francis, no?
Is that happening or just speculation?
(06-16-2019, 09:10 AM)panamaniac Wrote: When is the City expecting to build the next parking garage?  It's to be on Charles between Water and Francis, no?

AFAIK it's listed in long term plan documents, but no budget has been allocated for it. Given the last garage the city built, Charles/Benton, is still seriously under used (less than half full I believe) I don't think it'll happen soon.
taylortbb Wrote:
Quote:AFAIK it's listed in long term plan documents, but no budget has been allocated for it. Given the last garage the city built, Charles/Benton, is still seriously under used (less than half full I believe) I don't think it'll happen soon.

That garage is so faaar, though. /s
(06-17-2019, 03:14 PM)Spokes Wrote: Is that happening or just speculation?

I heard the same thing -- I wonder if it's connection with the lot beside Jack Burger, as that would make sense, as I can't see 4 tall buildings in that spot.

(06-18-2019, 04:18 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(06-17-2019, 03:14 PM)Spokes Wrote: Is that happening or just speculation?

I heard the same thing -- I wonder if it's connection with the lot beside Jack Burger, as that would make sense, as I can't see 4 tall buildings in that spot.

I'm getting confused by this sub-thread. Do you mean that the city would build a parking garage next to Jack Burger? Or something else?
(06-20-2019, 09:22 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(06-18-2019, 04:18 PM)jeffster Wrote: I heard the same thing -- I wonder if it's connection with the lot beside Jack Burger, as that would make sense, as I can't see 4 tall buildings in that spot.

I'm getting confused by this sub-thread. Do you mean that the city would build a parking garage next to Jack Burger? Or something else?

No -- I had heard of another tower being planned next to Jack Burger. I was wondering if it was related to the first two towers.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »