Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
169 Borden Ave N | 6 fl | U/C
VIVE Development

Medium rise rental building.

I'm hoping the mods can move over the other posts regarding this new building. Here is my picture that I posted in another thread (mods, feel free to delete if/when the other posts are moved over.

(06-24-2021, 10:36 AM)jeffster Wrote: I'm hoping the mods can move over the other posts regarding this new building. Here is my picture that I posted in another thread (mods, feel free to delete if/when the other posts are moved over.
I saw that yellow crane driving down King at Ottawa and was curious as to where it was going.

Cool to see another crane up around here.
Quote:Southeast of Downtown Kitchener and steps from the famous Kitchener Auditorium "The Aud", a 166 suite purpose-built rental project comprised of one and two bedroom suites. Features include underground parking, rooftop patio, fitness centre, carshare, electric vehicle charging and proximity to parks, greenspace and Hwy 7. We are currently under construction with leasing beginning Fall 2022.

Here is a slightly larger rendering without the Coming Soon, since there is only a thumbnail posted above:

[Image: mdlOAqm.png]

Rendering is by Orchard Design Studios: https://orcharddesign.ca/
"Steps from The Aud"...for now I hope. I would love to see The Aud eventually move to Downtown Kitchener if possible, similar to what London & Guelph have with their arenas. It really boosts business for local restaurants/pubs downtown on game nights at home during the season.

(06-24-2021, 02:28 PM)adjlar Wrote: "Steps from The Aud"...for now I hope. I would love to see The Aud eventually move to Downtown Kitchener if possible, similar to what London & Guelph have with their arenas. It really boosts business for local restaurants/pubs downtown on game nights at home during the season.

But, how many nights is that, actually, out of 365?
(06-24-2021, 02:39 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(06-24-2021, 02:28 PM)adjlar Wrote: "Steps from The Aud"...for now I hope. I would love to see The Aud eventually move to Downtown Kitchener if possible, similar to what London & Guelph have with their arenas. It really boosts business for local restaurants/pubs downtown on game nights at home during the season.

With their basketball team, hockey team, concerts, events, etc. It’s significant.

A minimum 34 OHL games per season. Plus it will give the region a better chance at landing some of the bigger arena concerts that currently by-pass the region for Hamilton and London. Not to mention larger trade shows that can take place in these facilities. Also although not a huge draw currently, 20 titans games. Ability to host the World juniors, The memorial cup, Preseason NHL games. I think a modern arena in the region could be in use at least 150 nights per year probably more. Its too bad we didn't already have a new arena we could have stolen "The Rock" from toronto, but Hamilton won that franchise.

Stadiums tend to offer a good level of urban renewal, actually, even if they only host games certain nights of a year. There are lots of other things like having a hotel integrated into it, as well as hosting trade shows, art fairs, community events, arts and culture events etc that can utilize the spaces. CityBeautiful has a very introductory video on this, but there is a lot of professional urban research and theory on how a well designed stadium district can be great for cities year round. It depends what you let the stadium be used for, what else is there and how well transit access it. That said, you have to have all the stars in the sky align right to actually pull it off and make it a success.

That said, I don't think we're at the point where we need a stadium downtown. We don't have any significant sport teams based here and it would struggle to attract other uses. Plus, I have no idea where you would actually put it. Land downtown is pretty scarce for a project that would be very large...not to mention how much of a nightmare parking/traffic would be during major events (can't really put much hope in people coming from the suburbs to use the LRT).

Maybe we could work on developing the Aud District instead? Rebuild the Aud on the existing property, with structured parking. Include mixed-use development. Develop the armoury. Encourage developments like this one. Enhance transit connectivity, and provide extra transit connections on game/event nights.
Would be a wiser thing to do, tomh009! No need to relocate it downtown. It you look at the maps, The Auditorium is <10 blocks from Weber and Frederick already, it's basically going to be downtown soon enough.

Currently, it's a 10 minute walk from Borden Station. Downtown is going to just keep expanding out. We might as well keep the land it is on and when the time comes, replace/renovate the auditorium itself. Lots of future opportunities for developers to make new projects around it. They could easily redevelop, say, the stripmalls on Ottawa Street (between Weber/King) and introduce tons of new retail or restaurant offerings. The current location is right beside some Conestoga Parkway exists as well which is great for people who might be driving to/from events. Permieter Developments has The Junction planned a couple blocks south and Vive Developments is planning a 35(?) floor condo complex the next block away, both of which are very close and would really help revive this area. It is already the perfect "Stadium District".

IMO, it just needs some TLC and a bit of time to allow private developers to catch up. Once The Metz, The Junction and Lower Kitchener get started that will really boost the population, retail and other business in the area. With even more time, more things will come around here. The proximity to downtown and the Ottawa/Conestoga Parkway ramps give this area a hell of a lot of future potential. The Aud could be a very good anchor point for redevelopment around this part of the city, which I believe is all included in the Rockway PARTS plan the City of Kitchener released.

(06-24-2021, 02:59 PM)westwardloo Wrote:
(06-24-2021, 02:39 PM)tomh009 Wrote: But, how many nights is that, actually, out of 365?
A minimum 34 OHL games per season. Plus it will give the region a better chance at landing some of the bigger arena concerts that currently by-pass the region for Hamilton and London. Not to mention larger trade shows that can take place in these facilities. Also although not a huge draw currently, 20 titans games. Ability to host the World juniors, The memorial cup, Preseason NHL games. I think a modern arena in the region could be in use at least 150 nights per year probably more. Its too bad we didn't already have a new arena we could have stolen "The Rock" from toronto, but Hamilton won that franchise.

Unsure if we'd get larger trade shows. The Aud is a 3 rink facility, so you can put a lot of customers into it vs a single rink. Just something to keep in mind. I know some talk about the old bus terminal, but that would be a tiny spot compared to the current facility. Limited areas where you could put a large facility in DTK, as vacant areas are just not there.

Though I am sure at some point The Aud will be replaced, but it may end up in Centennial Field.
Thanks for creating the new thread!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »