Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fallowfield Towers | 12 fl | U/C
The Drewlo buildings are actually quite good quality rental stock (imo).  They provide lots of people with reasonably priced housing.  I suspect if you were to compare 'per square foot' rental prices of their buildings vs City Center or 1 Vic, you would find that the Drewlo buildings are serving an entirely different demographic.

And yes, their buildings are not 'fashion forward'.  However, they are building quality buildings that are somewhat of a timeless design.  They may not have all the glass and fancy finishing, but they are built to last.  It remains to be seen if we can say the same about some of the shiny new buildings that have popped up.

And we need multiple demographics, and housing for them. So if Drewlo builds some reasonably-priced mixed-use rental housing at King and Madison, I think that will be a very good thing for downtown.
I agree. We lived in their tower on Queen and Courtland, and LOVED our time there.
Drewlo getting love..... WWWHAAAATTT??? Smile
My main interest is in how the Drewlo buildings interact with the street. The architecture is forgettable and that's OK. They're offering good rental housing, which is a pretty big deal.
(02-08-2016, 01:10 PM)REnerd Wrote: My main interest is in how the Drewlo buildings interact with the street.

Same here. Not all architecture can be award-winning, and it’s okay if some isn’t, even in the core. But at an urban location such as King and Madison (and even outside of the cores, I think), we don’t want big setbacks and especially not parking in front that can hamper the street experience for everyone.
If they want to appeal to council based on being mixed-use, it only makes sense for it to count as such if it is built in the form of mixed-use, i.e. street-fronting, not hidden behind parking. Similarly, there is the noted concern of Drewlo getting sound levels experienced by residents due to the highway down to acceptable levels; putting parking next to the highway vs. putting the buildings next to the highway is a very simple way to help alleviate (or worsen) this.

^ You've confused this thread with the new Weber buildings, sounds like
Rental buildings in Ontario as a whole tend to be a lot older and in dire need of renovation. If you want quality, you have to pay for it. Drewlo seems to offer an alternative to that.
(12-02-2014, 11:48 AM)jgsz Wrote: I was inquiring about buildings by Drewlow Holdings Inc and it appears there may be more than four buildings on Fallowfield Dr.  Here is part of their email:

"We also have one more on Fallowfield currently underway and more possibly in the future."

I wonder if this is driven by the future LRT stop at Block Line and Courtland.  It would be interesting to find out how much land they own in the area. 

I know this is old -- I believe there will be two more at 18 floors a piece, IIRC. Address will be Blockline,
Smart to front Block Line - relatively short walk to LRT.
(12-23-2017, 03:10 PM)KevinL Wrote: Smart to front Block Line - relatively short walk to LRT.

And if you go out that way, that part of the ground is a lot lower than the other four buildings, so at 18 floors, it might appear to have the same height as the other towers, or at least close to it.
Have the two additional towers been confirmed? If so with the potential full build out of Virerra Viillage this area will see a significant density increase.

(01-08-2018, 04:08 PM)rangersfan Wrote: Have the two additional towers been confirmed? If so with the potential full build out of Virerra Viillage this area will see a significant density increase.

Just a little inside knowledge, but apparently the timeline was sometime in 2018. But you know how inside information is...not always reliable.

Can't comment on the other thing...not my pay grade.
Not sure if this belongs here or its own thread (maybe one already exists - I don't see one):
Zoning change application from DrewLo for 25 Fallowfield and 75 Fallowfield (page 72).

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »