Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
King-Victoria Transit Hub
(10-17-2018, 05:16 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(10-17-2018, 04:13 PM)Spokes Wrote: If I had to guess, I'd say they're going to go pretty tall here. Especially on the corner.  Maybe lower further down Victoria.

10 would be less than the pharmacy school right?

I just meant that 10 stories up would be plenty of separation between ones apartment and the trains. As for total height, as far as I’m concerned, the sky is the limit in that location. 100 stories, 1000, … Dubai, eat your heart out! K-W is where it is at!

Ohhhh, yes you're right.

I originally always thought that this would have to be office only, with maybe a hotel, but I could see the market for residential too.

But I think a hotel would be great here.  And it doesn't even have to be 1000 storeys.  The other towers on the other hand Wink

(10-17-2018, 05:18 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(10-17-2018, 04:01 PM)Momo26 Wrote: Still ~2 hour and $17 GO train ride even if living at the hub - of course you don't have to worry about getting to the train and parking etc but still, that length of GO train ride per way is such a turn off.

I commuted to Union station for nearly 4 years - almost always took the Milton line train from Milton and never once took the Kitchener train when working downtown (have since taken it once as a one-off) - I do live in the West end so getting on the 401 made a bit more sense though.

Any word on FAST rapid trains? Those require new tracks right? Or word on electrifying the GO train with express to maybe reduce that GO train ride by at least 20 mins?

I believe it can be reduced to around 1:30 by improving the tracks to eliminate slow orders and adding longer passing sidings and tracks in strategic locations. If HSR comes that would of course be even faster but is much more expensive.

We can probably take the 1:40 VIA Rail time as the best possible time under the current tracking (and fewer stops than GO). I hope that the current provincial government doesn't interfere with the new track, which should help.
Based off some comments over at Urban Toronto, the work in Guelph this year is preface to more work next year which should speed up some of the slower sections of the line significantly.
Per the P&W agenda (https://calendar.regionofwaterloo.ca/Cou...202018.pdf page 115), the RFP is being terminated.

Quote:Based on the Region’s RFP requirements, the parties discussed the proponent’s preliminary development vision in respect of timing, configuration, design and size of the development including the required on-site transit components, and business model for the overall development. As a result of these discussions, the Project Team is of the view that the proponent’s vision for the project does not align with the Region’s expectations as expressed in the RFP, including in respect of the integration of mixed uses in the overall design and the prevailing market conditions. In these circumstances, the KVTH Steering Committee has concluded that continuing the current procurement process will not result in a successful outcome. The KVTH Steering Committee is recommending that the current RFP process be terminated and that a range of alternative approaches be further evaluated to determine the best way to achieve the original project vision without jeopardizing the committed Provincial funding.
I'm guessing the consortium thought they had the upper hand, as the only bidder in the RFP, and maybe overplayed their cards.

Here's hoping that those "alternative approaches" have a better outcome.
What!!?? What does this mean for the whole project?! Timeline? Scope?

“Terminate” sounds bad. Sad
(11-03-2018, 08:00 AM)Canard Wrote: What!!?? What does this mean for the whole project?! Timeline? Scope?

“Terminate” sounds bad. Sad

Basically the chosen proponent produced a proposal (within the timeline given) that the Region deemed to not meet their expectations and is now recommending the RFP process be terminated to consider other options for building the site.

At least a two year delay, one imagines.
(11-03-2018, 09:29 AM)panamaniac Wrote: At least a two year delay, one imagines.

Now that is a "glass is half full" attitude right there.  I will be surprised if we see anything happen in five years.
That's absolutely awful.

The fact that there were so few submissions tells me there was something wrong with the Region's RFP process in the first place. Were there red flags?
My guess is the developer wasn't too keen on the transit hub requirement because it would cut into their revenues (even though it is(who knows if this will still be the case with the current government) being paid for by the province.
This is gutwrenchingly awful. Sad
This all means no rapid transit train plan London to KW then KW to union?

If so, it’ll be on a wooden temporary platform. Sad

...OR, they’ll put the dome back up, and use that.
Don't even joke Canard
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »