Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
King-Victoria Transit Hub
There are up to eight spots total. As I posted earlier (highlighting changed):
(04-17-2018, 10:52 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
Quote:The JDRP will have a minimum of six (6) members, excluding the chair, and shall be comprised of at least two architects, an urban designer and one landscape architect. Public art, engineering and planning experts would also be invited to apply. To balance expertise on the Panel, or to help ensure quorum, the KVTH Steering Committee may choose to approve two ad hoc panelists from the list of applicants or from the Metrolinx Design Review Panel roster. The maximum size of the JDRP is eight (8) panelists.

Yes, size isn't the question, qualifications is. I read the document as requiring 2 architects, 1 urban designer, and 1 landscape architect, and then 2-4 more members who can be any combination of architect, urban designer, landscape architect, etc, but *not* non-technical general-population people.
Well, yes and no … they can be "applicants" (using the form on the web site), not just from the KVTH pool or Metrolinx. So it is open to new applicants. But they are looking for people with relevant expertise, not representatives of the general public, so if I were to apply, I would be unlikely to get selected.
Do we have updated (or even the older) image renderings for the Transit Hub and when will this be built and operational?

*Seeking updates*
I would say that this is probably the most recent drawing we've seen.

These are some of the originals from back in 2014.

Nothing concrete though.
What's happening in that first image, a high-rise residential tower or office tower? 

Interesting if residential, living right on the transit hub. Wouldn't most people want some space between their residence and buses/trains?
(10-17-2018, 09:06 AM)Momo26 Wrote: What's happening in that first image, a high-rise residential tower or office tower? 

Interesting if residential, living right on the transit hub. Wouldn't most people want some space between their residence and buses/trains?

I think 10 vertical stories would be plenty. It would be awesome to live in the same building as the transit terminal and work in downtown Toronto. And still be just blocks or a short LRT ride from Downtown and Uptown.

Still ~2 hour and $17 GO train ride even if living at the hub - of course you don't have to worry about getting to the train and parking etc but still, that length of GO train ride per way is such a turn off.

I commuted to Union station for nearly 4 years - almost always took the Milton line train from Milton and never once took the Kitchener train when working downtown (have since taken it once as a one-off) - I do live in the West end so getting on the 401 made a bit more sense though.

Any word on FAST rapid trains? Those require new tracks right? Or word on electrifying the GO train with express to maybe reduce that GO train ride by at least 20 mins?
(10-17-2018, 03:42 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(10-17-2018, 09:06 AM)Momo26 Wrote: What's happening in that first image, a high-rise residential tower or office tower? 

I think 10 vertical stories would be plenty. It would be awesome to live in the same building as the transit terminal and work in downtown Toronto. And still be just blocks or a short LRT ride from Downtown and Uptown.

If I had to guess, I'd say they're going to go pretty tall here. Especially on the corner.  Maybe lower further down Victoria.

10 would be less than the pharmacy school right?
(10-17-2018, 03:42 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:

With Sixo basically across the street and that being planned for I believe at least 3 tall buildings (tall being 15+ stories), that corner will be THE place to be it seems. Exciting times. Just wished things happened a touch faster!  Dodgy
(10-17-2018, 04:13 PM)Spokes Wrote: 10 would be less than the pharmacy school right?

The school of pharmacy has nine floors.
(10-17-2018, 04:24 PM)Momo26 Wrote:
(10-17-2018, 03:42 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I think 10 vertical stories would be plenty. It would be awesome to live in the same building as the transit terminal and work in downtown Toronto. And still be just blocks or a short LRT ride from Downtown and Uptown.

With Sixo basically across the street and that being planned for I believe at least 3 tall buildings (tall being 15+ stories), that corner will be THE place to be it seems. Exciting times. Just wished things happened a touch faster!  Dodgy

You and me both.

This is the construction project I think I'm most excited about in the region
(10-17-2018, 04:13 PM)Spokes Wrote:
(10-17-2018, 03:42 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I think 10 vertical stories would be plenty. It would be awesome to live in the same building as the transit terminal and work in downtown Toronto. And still be just blocks or a short LRT ride from Downtown and Uptown.

If I had to guess, I'd say they're going to go pretty tall here. Especially on the corner.  Maybe lower further down Victoria.

10 would be less than the pharmacy school right?

I just meant that 10 stories up would be plenty of separation between ones apartment and the trains. As for total height, as far as I’m concerned, the sky is the limit in that location. 100 stories, 1000, … Dubai, eat your heart out! K-W is where it is at!

(10-17-2018, 04:01 PM)Momo26 Wrote: Still ~2 hour and $17 GO train ride even if living at the hub - of course you don't have to worry about getting to the train and parking etc but still, that length of GO train ride per way is such a turn off.

I commuted to Union station for nearly 4 years - almost always took the Milton line train from Milton and never once took the Kitchener train when working downtown (have since taken it once as a one-off) - I do live in the West end so getting on the 401 made a bit more sense though.

Any word on FAST rapid trains? Those require new tracks right? Or word on electrifying the GO train with express to maybe reduce that GO train ride by at least 20 mins?

I believe it can be reduced to around 1:30 by improving the tracks to eliminate slow orders and adding longer passing sidings and tracks in strategic locations. If HSR comes that would of course be even faster but is much more expensive.
(10-17-2018, 04:01 PM)Momo26 Wrote: Any word on FAST rapid trains? Those require new tracks right? Or word on electrifying the GO train with express to maybe reduce that GO train ride by at least 20 mins?

High Speed Rail is a controversial proposal likely to die under Rob Ford, which is unfortunate.  I can see why 300 km/h trains would be deemed excessive by many, but the bottom line is that it would give us electrified rails dedicated exclusively to passenger service, which is sorely needed to make any significant improvement to the GO/VIA services that we get today.  Having CN and CP call the shots on our passenger corridors is torture.

The only thing likely to reduce the ride time in the short term are the improvements currently being made in the west end of Guelph, which in other forums have been said to increase the go-slow order speed from 10 mph to 30 mph.  Estimates are that it will take a 5 minute bite out of travel times, but I bet it will feel like more than that.  That's just the first round of construction in Guelph though, hopefully next year will see further upgrades with larger effects.  There's also the re-signalling initiative in the Union Station Rail Corridor which will probably nip another 5 minutes.

If Doug and company can pull off the freight rail bypass initiative that started under Wynne (and a consortium of municipalities with their Missing Link study before that) to get CN off the Georgetown to Bramalea segment, that should help too, although more with frequency (all day two way to Kitchener plus weekends please!) than speed.  Electrification to Kitchener can only follow after that, as CN won't allow wires over any portion of their track.  :-(
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »