Welcome Guest! In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away. Click here to get started.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
King-Victoria Transit Hub
Crowne Plaza has a room that can accommodate over 600, and probably rooms enough to accommodate a total of 2000. I wonder how well its conference facilities do.

It does seem like it would be a great place for a hotel.
(11-17-2017, 08:08 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: [quote pid='44961' dateline='1510891522']
This doesn't seem like the correct assumption. The region, in their consultations, will decide how much Floor Spare Ratio they have to work with (some very low proposals were on the table, and lower ones brought up by residents). You only need look across the street at SIXO's proposal to know that they can pretty much do however much density they like and still move it. It's instead a question of how many jobs and people the region and Kitchener thinks are fitting for the most connected and central plot of land in our region (hint: it should be at least as much as any other site in the region, be it student complexes in Northdale, or SIXO, or Charlie West's height)

[/quote]

Well, we have no idea how much they can move. We only know how much they have proposed in their marketing materials.

This is definitely the place for density. Hopefully the Region approves a lot of it, and let the developer built it out over however long is needed for the market to absorb it.
I'd rather see a hotel or offices here than residential. Residential next to a station I can see; on the station seems a little odd to me.
I recall way back in the mists of the first LRT proposal, when the hub would have been on the other side of King (this was before the University purchased the Pharmacy school land), a conference centre was in the plans for the site. Later revisions did not make that an explicit component.
My Twitter: @KevinLMaps
(11-17-2017, 03:16 PM)KevinL Wrote: I recall way back in the mists of the first LRT proposal, when the hub would have been on the other side of King (this was before the University purchased the Pharmacy school land), a conference centre was in the plans for the site. Later revisions did not make that an explicit component.

Was that before or after the Olympic size swimming pool proposal?
I don't recall that one, sorry!
My Twitter: @KevinLMaps
(11-17-2017, 02:52 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: I'd rather see a hotel or offices here than residential. Residential next to a station I can see; on the station seems a little odd to me.

The site is pretty big.... residential would likely be only on one portion of it, not right on top of the station. One concept had hotel, condos, office, convention centre, and retail! so cool
I'd certainly buy a condo there! Big Grin
For daily ion construction updates, photos and general urban rail news, follow me on twitter! @Canardiain
I think we'll see some sort of development where the base and transit components can be built with towers added on later.
(11-17-2017, 02:27 PM)robdrimmie Wrote:
(11-17-2017, 07:09 AM)jamincan Wrote: I have no idea what the market is for hotels in KW right now, but this would be a excellent location.

I would love a hotel with conference facilities capable of supporting upwards of 1000 people. I am pretty sure it would be terribly unsuccessful but I feel it's something the city is seriously lacking. Bingeman's and Lot42 are so terribly inconvenient.

Agreed, and in this location it would be possible to have events to which people can easily get to from Toronto (once train service is running).
(Yesterday, 11:44 PM)mpd618 Wrote:
(11-17-2017, 02:27 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: I would love a hotel with conference facilities capable of supporting upwards of 1000 people. I am pretty sure it would be terribly unsuccessful but I feel it's something the city is seriously lacking. Bingeman's and Lot42 are so terribly inconvenient.

Agreed, and in this location it would be possible to have events to which people can easily get to from Toronto (once train service is running).

So maybe it could make sense in one of the later phases, when we might (!) have all-day GO service running ...