Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
King-Victoria Transit Hub
(11-25-2014, 09:20 AM)MidTowner Wrote: That is Moore Ave. Breithaupt does not actually intersect with King- Moore does, and Briar intersects with Moore a few meters away.

Neighbours have told me a lot of anecdotes about the street names in this neighbourhood- I have heard that Briar Ave (a small street between Moore and DeKay) was the name of the farmer who owned the land where the neighbourhood now sits. It was formerly Bierwagen Ave (and too bad it no longer is). Likewise Emma (a street a block away, even smaller) was his wife.

Nobody has been able to tell me for whom Moore was named, though it was actually given its name at the same time Briar was, in the 1950s. In other words, after John Moore was active, but maybe still named for him. It used to be Charon (and you can still see this name on pavers and such in a few places in Midtown).

Then why do the signs on King St identify that intersection as Breithaupt if it is actually Moore? Surely the city knows the name of the road it is signing.

I suspect that if you could find an old map, you would find that the King/Breithaupt/Moore configuration was altered when the present building was constructed (early 1950s?). When the old Kitchener Luggage was on the site, I'd wager that Breithaupt ran directly to King St.
Photo 
(11-25-2014, 06:07 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I suspect that if you could find an old map, you would find that the King/Breithaupt/Moore configuration was altered when the present building was constructed (early 1950s?).  When the old Kitchener Luggage was on the site, I'd wager that Breithaupt ran directly to King St.

Yes it did.  This map from the City Engineer's Office Kitchener Ont. Nov. 7, 1923 (from Recollections of 125 years) shows Breithaupt running to King St. 

I think we've strayed a little off topic for a little too long
^Amen.
I actually really hope that a conscious effort is taken in designing and constructing the Station to pay homage to the "Warehouse District." I think that it would be very suitable to choose a characteristic design for neighbouring street signs, and to locate art or sculptures and plaques that speak to the way that the neighbourhood originally came about.

I still think that "Warehouse District" is a good opportunity for some meaningful branding, and I hope the architecture "fits" and that the station interacts suitably with the Breithaupt Block and the other nearby buildings from the same era.
This is going to be the main hub, centre of the city, surrounded by Google, School of Pharmacy, 1 Victoria, Kaufman lofts nearest stop to Kitchener city hall, connection point to Toronto via Go Transit and you want to name it after some warehouses that were there 50 years ago? Okaay.

(11-26-2014, 12:21 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: This is going to be the main hub, centre of the city, surrounded by Google, School of Pharmacy, 1 Victoria, Kaufman lofts nearest stop to Kitchener city hall, connection point to Toronto via Go Transit and you want to name it after some warehouses that were there 50 years ago? Okaay.

When did I say I wanted to name it anything?
Pay homage to old warehouses to be more precise. I'm not saying we should ignore its past, but there is so much more there than old-abandoned-buildings only-recently-renovated to fashion an entire image around that.

We should have a branding that both acknowledges its past, but also looks towards the future. Kind of like the Breithaupt block that has a renovated old portion and a modern looking new building side by side.
(11-26-2014, 12:21 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: This is going to be the main hub, centre of the city, surrounded by Google, School of Pharmacy, 1 Victoria, Kaufman lofts nearest stop to Kitchener city hall, connection point to Toronto via Go Transit and you want to name it after some warehouses that were there 50 years ago? Okaay.

Won't Young Station be the closest station to Kitchener City Hall? 
I didn't say anything that contradicted what you just said, or warranted the sarcasm.

"The Warehouse District" is from the City of Kitchener's Strategic Plan. It's maybe not the most accurate name possible, but they chose it for a reason, and it captures the industrial heritage of the area. Yes, we should be honoring the past and looking to the future simultaneously.

It's worth pointing out that the attraction of the Tannery, Kaufman Lofts, and now Breithaupt Block to a certain segment and certain residential and commercial tenants, is the rich heritage of those sites. It's a great asset, and there are other buildings that have similar appeal and will soon be adaptively reused. I really hope that the station is designed in such a way that it interacts well with those neighbours, and leverages the history of the area to its greatest effect.
Didn't they change the name to the "Innovation District" now?
Heritage Kitchener to debate Rumpel Felt property 
Quote:A 100-year-old factory that sits on the site of the region’s future central transit station could be listed as a property of cultural heritage value or interest — a major step toward full protection under the Ontario Heritage Act... The Region of Waterloo owns the building at the corner of Victoria Street North and Duke Street... Regional Coun. Jean Haalboom hopes Heritage Kitchener moves to protect the old factory.

Regional Municipality of Waterloo Heritage Planning Advisory Committee Minutes December 12, 2013 
Quote:Establishment of an Industrial Heritage Museum in Kitchener

The meeting’s second delegation was local resident, Eleanor Grant, who shared her interest and research on the industrial heritage of Kitchener (formerly Berlin). Ms. Grant noted that there are many artifacts, stories, videos, and photographs related to the City’s industrial past that are currently in locations spread across the Region. Eleanor suggested that there is an opportunity to collect and connect all of this related historic material and make it more accessible to the public.

Specifically, Eleanor suggested that a local industrial heritage museum focused on the warehouse district’s industrial peak as a hub of industry and trades could be established in the former Rumpel Felt Co. building. It is expected that the building will eventually be redeveloped as part of the Region’s new Transportation Hub. Eleanor also suggested other possibilities such as the addition of plaques with QR codes in front of industrial heritage sites that would link the viewer to historic and current information online.

Digital resources and interactive maps could further enable the public to locate and appreciate industrial sites that tell the story of Kitchener’s evolution from an industrial hub to technology centre.

Anyone have any more recent news on this? By coincidence I heard a brief talk yesterday given by David Rumpel in which he mentioned in passing that he hoped the building could be saved but he gave no further details.

(11-26-2014, 12:59 PM)Waterlooer Wrote: Didn't they change the name to the "Innovation District" now?

Next stop, Innovation Station! Tongue
Conjunction Junction!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »