Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
King-Victoria Transit Hub
My guess is that the hub site will remain flat and untouched until all grade separation is done. Although I hope the building process can start immediately once grade separation is finished.

The plan for the Hub site is that it will serve as the construction staging ground for the King St grade separation, and then serve as a construction staging ground for LRT.

Only in 2017, when LRT is up and running, will any possible works take place for the Hub itself.
In the meantime, they will be drawing up plans for the site, and figuring out financing, with the aim of starting construction on the Hub soon after LRT is complete.
How long is the King separation projected to take?
Caution, that image contains a lot of conjecture. A lot of what it shows hasn't actually been designed.

The LRT construction project doesn't appear to be adding escalator facilities, if the project drawings are to be believed. What's more likely is that access to the VIA/GO platform will be part of the design phase for the hub itself, not the LRT project.

Here are screengrabs from the drawings I linked to:

[Image: i2762hB.png]

[Image: OPIiNe1.png]
[Image: i2762hB.png]

This diagram refers to Breithaupt St as Moore Ave. I realize the logic, but nobody knows who the Moores were. Or is it just me?
No, that's Moore there. Breihaupt begins just above that map, bending right, while Moore bends left.
(11-21-2014, 07:15 PM)BrianT Wrote: I hope that as part of the design for the LRT there is a roof of some sort over the platform area, to protect passengers from the weather.

Every LRT station will have a substantial sheltered area along the platform, yes; the exact design is not yet public but that's built into the design requirements.

(11-21-2014, 06:50 PM)Markster Wrote: No, that's Moore there. Breihaupt begins just above that map, bending right, while Moore bends left.

I agree that it looks that way on a map, but the city doesn't sign it like that. There is no intersection for King @ Moore. The street signs say Breithaupt in both directions. The sign at Breithaupt and Moore is ambiguous but maybe the city is saying Moore ends at Breithaupt? 
I thought the LRT stations will look exactly the same as the aBRT stations that are going up in Cambridge right now.
For all the project drawing posted, are there ones for the LRT in Waterloo?
You can find a summary of all documentation here:

http://rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo.ca/...nplans.asp

http://rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo.ca/...eement.asp (Schedule 15-2)
(11-22-2014, 11:42 AM)Canard Wrote: You can find a summary of all documentation here:

http://rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo.ca/...nplans.asp

http://rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo.ca/...eement.asp (Schedule 15-2)

It's interesting to note the various ways drawings have evolved since the functional design plans (which date from 2011.) The project agreement plans are going to be more relevant now. Personally, I'm disappointed by the fact that with so many turn bays, we've lost the room for de facto bike lanes from much of King Street.

Also, I think we should expect to see some (probably small) changes as the project proceeds. With other aspects of the agreement, the project team has already signalled that this is what the consortiums were bidding on and agreeing on, but some details of the agreement may be negotiated later. (Such as the service plan.)
(11-21-2014, 06:40 PM)Drake Wrote: This diagram refers to Breithaupt St as Moore Ave. I realize the logic, but nobody knows who the Moores were. Or is it just me?

From the Waterloo Region Hall of Fame here is one locally prominent Moore who was likely active when Moore Ave was named:

Quote:John Douglas Moore (1843-1917)

John Douglas Moore was one of the pioneers born in Canada who received his schooling in the little log schoolhouse in Dickie Settlement. The family farm in North Dumfries was purchased by his English father and Scottish mother from the Hon. William Dickson for only four dollars an acre. Moore eventually owned seven hundred acres and besides being a very successful farmer, also grew hops at Preston for thirty years.

Farming and agriculture were not his only interests. In early life he served on the township council, became reeve, and later warden of Waterloo County. A prominent Liberal, he was MPP for Waterloo South from 1891 to 1898, under Premier Sir Oliver Mowat.

In 1910 he became county registrar. He was a charter member of the Galt, Preston and Hespeler Railway, director of the Brantford Binder Twine Company, and president of the Berlin Robe and Clothing Company, reflecting his executive ability.

That is Moore Ave. Breithaupt does not actually intersect with King- Moore does, and Briar intersects with Moore a few meters away.

Neighbours have told me a lot of anecdotes about the street names in this neighbourhood- I have heard that Briar Ave (a small street between Moore and DeKay) was the name of the farmer who owned the land where the neighbourhood now sits. It was formerly Bierwagen Ave (and too bad it no longer is). Likewise Emma (a street a block away, even smaller) was his wife.

Nobody has been able to tell me for whom Moore was named, though it was actually given its name at the same time Briar was, in the 1950s. In other words, after John Moore was active, but maybe still named for him. It used to be Charon (and you can still see this name on pavers and such in a few places in Midtown).
(11-25-2014, 09:20 AM)MidTowner Wrote: That is Moore Ave. Breithaupt does not actually intersect with King- Moore does, and Briar intersects with Moore a few meters away.

Neighbours have told me a lot of anecdotes about the street names in this neighbourhood- I have heard that Briar Ave (a small street between Moore and DeKay) was the name of the farmer who owned the land where the neighbourhood now sits. It was formerly Bierwagen Ave (and too bad it no longer is). Likewise Emma (a street a block away, even smaller) was his wife.

Nobody has been able to tell me for whom Moore was named, though it was actually given its name at the same time Briar was, in the 1950s. In other words, after John Moore was active, but maybe still named for him. It used to be Charon (and you can still see this name on pavers and such in a few places in Midtown).

Sorry, silly of me: only Kitchener's section of what is now Moore Ave (then Charon) would have been changed, to match Waterloo's. John Moore was indeed likely active when the name for Moore Ave South (i.e. in Waterloo) would have been chosen.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »