Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
King-Victoria Transit Hub
(11-07-2018, 10:26 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(11-07-2018, 09:12 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: So basically you are criticizing them for:
1) Standing firm to get a good deal for the region, and
2) Thinking ahead and having a vision rather than not having transit hub at all or having to over-pay a developer to get the land or access later to build the transit hub.

The signs that Kitchener was starting to move in the right direction were already there at the time of the purchases (e.g school of pharmacy).

This is where I'm at on this.  I'm annoyed that this is going to be delayed.  VERY annoyed.  But if it means getting it done right, I'm ok waiting (coming from the most impatient person in the world)

That said, I think we don't know all of the details.  What exactly is the vision, and what parts are non-negotiable?  What part of the vision was not met?  Those are important factors.
Agreed.  It would be nice if they would tell us exactly what the deficiencies were.

From The Record's article:  

Quote:"We just couldn't negotiate a satisfactory deal," Galloway said.

That included both the design of the site, along with the land value.

"They weren't valuing it sufficiently for us," Galloway said.
https://www.therecord.com/news-story/901...ping-kvth/

Does the developer have to buy the land from the Region?  Could that be a hurdle.
Last year I was daydreaming and came up with a concept for these lands that I spent some hours sketching. Then I saw and read (skimmed) the design guidelines from the region and thought my concept actually fit fairly well considering I hadn't read it first. Anyway, now that the most recent proposal for these lands fell through I remembered my sketches and pulled them out. I still like them. Since they're just going to rot in my sketchbook, why not post them here for people to comment on eh?

P.S. I've been reading here for years but this is my first post!
Here's my sketches

last 2

(11-13-2018, 09:07 AM)mastermind Wrote: Last year I was daydreaming and came up with a concept for these lands that I spent some hours sketching.  Then I saw and read (skimmed) the design guidelines from the region and thought my concept actually fit fairly well considering I hadn't read it first.  Anyway, now that the most recent proposal for these lands fell through I remembered my sketches and pulled them out.  I still like them.  Since they're just going to rot in my sketchbook, why not post them here for people to comment on eh?

P.S. I've been reading here for years but this is my first post!

I love when lurkers pop out of the woodwork with something awesome!

Great drawings, and cool ideas.  I wish we knew what the Region wanted.  Do they want something like this, or do they want something with retail right on the street.  What kind of heritage integration.  How much residential/office/hotel/etc?  

So many questions.
Very nice work, mastermind!

@Spokes, there could be some retail storefronts on the King St side, on either side of the atrium entrance. But Victoria St storefronts will always be challenging due to the need for the car/bus entrance and exit.

If there is a need for more, tower B could be integrated with the Rumpel building to make a larger tower footprint, similar to what is planned for the Glovebox.
(11-15-2018, 12:37 PM)tomh009 Wrote: @Spokes, there could be some retail storefronts on the King St side, on either side of the atrium entrance. But Victoria St storefronts will always be challenging due to the need for the car/bus entrance and exit.

I believe the region's plan was that the passenger pickup/dropoff would be on the second floor with an entrance from Duke. So the Victoria facing side would just have a bus entrance/exit, which left room for most of the Victoria-facing section to be retail or entrances to buildings above.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Possibly Related Threads...
  King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB BrianT 361 210,320 10-15-2018, 09:50 AM
Last Post: Spokes