Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Acquiring Food During a Pandemic
(06-04-2020, 11:05 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Looks like the Kitchener Market will be re-opening the weekend following this weekend:

https://www.kitchener.ca/Modules/News/in...a8239d416a

The measures mostly make sense, closing the interior spaces, etc.

But I'm disappointed they haven't chosen to use the roads roads in order to spread out the vendors more.  It's disappointing the cities obsession with maintaining vehicle traffic.

The protest last night was a good example, the police, while I respect their minimal response, should have closed more roads to make more space to spread out.

Thanks for the update.  And I agree with you that the streets around the market should be closed on market days.  Does the city still call this area the “market district?”  If so, it takes more than a building to make a district.

Did you try contacting the city/market management to make the suggestion of expanding onto the streets?
(06-04-2020, 12:44 PM)creative Wrote: Did you try contacting the city/market management to make the suggestion of expanding onto the streets?

No. And that's a fair objection.

But this is hardly a revolutionary inspiration...I'd be shocked if they didn't think about it, I suspect they did, and chose not too, but I have no idea at what level that decision was made. In some organizations people have trouble seeing outside their particular area of responsibility, possibly the market folks did not even raise this with anyone else, and council did not step in.

Worth noting also, this wouldn't be so difficult, or even controversial if the market was better designed, the current architectural design of the square makes it so cut off from the street, as to be completely segregated, so events cannot flow naturally into the street. I believe this is why they use the parking garage, which has more engagement with the street, rather than the square for the actual market.  The irony is palpable.
The streets are quite steep so not ideal for tables. But putting some of the vendors on the square in front of the market should be easy, there would be no logistics to worry about.
They shut down the street last summer for a few days for a market event, did they not? There were tables set up then. I don't see why they couldnt do it now
I'm guessing that the Kitchener Market will see a reduced number of vendors for the rest of this summer, at least?
Beertown has taken over Anchor Bar's patio space, as well as the public patio beside Anchor Bar. Every table was occupied this afternoon when I visited the square.

Tried PC pickup at value art in uptown today by bike. It went very smoothly.
Princess has been closed between King and Dorset. There were some guys putting out picnic tables in front of My-Thai. I assume there will also be tables for the Heather.
(07-09-2020, 11:40 AM)jwilliamson Wrote: Princess has been closed between King and Dorset. There were some guys putting out picnic tables in front of My-Thai. I assume there will also be tables for the Heather.

Related to this

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener...-1.5640691

So it is possible all the open places along there will do the same.
Jane Bond have announced a patio as well.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »