Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Restaurant casualties of COVID-19
Abe Erb likely expanded too quickly at the wrong time. Last year they opened both a new Ayr and Guelph location.
I believe that Fixed Gear brewing is taking over the Guelph location.

(10-13-2020, 11:25 AM)Bytor Wrote:
(10-13-2020, 08:37 AM)jamincan Wrote: Abe Erb is shutting down: https://www.facebook.com/abeerbbrewpub/p...8124621742

This one hits closer to home for me. Definitely disappointing to see. I can only hope that when things return to normal that we'll see things pop back up and replace what we've been losing.

Judging by a lot of the comments on social media, many from former employees, they treated their employees rather shittily.

From the people that I know that work in the industry, that can describe a lot of bars/restaurants. 

I do enjoy their Kolsch though, so I will have to stop by the LCBO and see if I can grab a few cans before they are all gone.
Abe Erb accused of fraud, breach of lease by Guelph landlord
(10-16-2020, 06:37 PM)Acitta Wrote: Abe Erb accused of fraud, breach of lease by Guelph landlord

Employees treated badly, and, assuming the claims are true, the landlord even worse so.

The beer (or food) at any given restaurant may be good but that doesn't mean the people running it are.
CTV  and The Record are reporting that the Hacienda Sarria will close due to the pandemic.
Really a shame.... This will get worse before it gets better though. If it gets better. I can see a terrible recession in the future...
We're in the recession right now. It's possible if we get a vaccine with sterilizing immunity we actually bounce back somewhat and see a mini boom. There will be lots of opportunity.

(10-22-2020, 04:13 PM)JoeKW Wrote: We're in the recession right now.  It's possible if we get a vaccine with sterilizing immunity we actually bounce back somewhat and see a mini boom.  There will be lots of opportunity.

For a while I’ve expected a restaurant boom when this is done. Now that we’ve had a partial opening, I’m not sure, but I still expect people to eat out more than usual. Unless they’ve all gotten the home cooking bug of course!
(10-22-2020, 06:06 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(10-22-2020, 04:13 PM)JoeKW Wrote: We're in the recession right now.  It's possible if we get a vaccine with sterilizing immunity we actually bounce back somewhat and see a mini boom.  There will be lots of opportunity.

For a while I’ve expected a restaurant boom when this is done. Now that we’ve had a partial opening, I’m not sure, but I still expect people to eat out more than usual. Unless they’ve all gotten the home cooking bug of course!

There might be a re-opening, but it's not a real end to this situation. Even ignoring the restrictions on restaurants, there are many people who simply won't go out. When there is a vaccine, then people will be comfortable going out again, then we will see a recovery.
Captain Boil in Uptown Waterloo is now closed
Nanaz Kitchen - Mediterranean Restaurant & Catering is permanently closed.  (close to the Waterloo Market but hard to find)

I never made it to this restaurant but reviews from my foodie friends were very good.
Mongolian Grill in Waterloo permanently closing. 

https://www.kitchenertoday.com/local-new...ng-2818921
As unfortunate as this is, the Mongolian Grill does not appear to be a COVID casualty, though.

Chickooos on Lester at Hickory has closed. There was a For Lease sign in the window this evening.
(10-22-2020, 06:12 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(10-22-2020, 06:06 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: For a while I’ve expected a restaurant boom when this is done. Now that we’ve had a partial opening, I’m not sure, but I still expect people to eat out more than usual. Unless they’ve all gotten the home cooking bug of course!

There might be a re-opening, but it's not a real end to this situation. Even ignoring the restrictions on restaurants, there are many people who simply won't go out. When there is a vaccine, then people will be comfortable going out again, then we will see a recovery.

Yep, we would need a vaccine that provides full sterilizing immunity to see a big economy boom.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »