Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Riverbank lofts | ?m | 5 fl | sales
Riverbank Lofts
20 Guelph Avenue, Hespler, Cambridge, Ontario
http://riverbanklofts.ca/
Developer: JG Group
Architect: The Ventin Group Limited
Project: The former American Standard is being converted into luxury condominium lofts, with 111 units.

[Image: wWGFuuz.png]

[Image: lDLQYJX.png]

site plan

[Image: SsJjVBn.png]

before building 1

[Image: RSV2Lzy.png]

before building 3

[Image: 0BpTOhC.png]

American Standard factory condominium sales start by invitation only
August 18, 2011 | kswayze | The Record | LINK

Quote:CAMBRIDGE — People won’t be moving into condominiums in the old American Standard factory for two years, but Dan Dudack’s coffee sales are already climbing.
                           Java Garden at Guelph and Queen streets is 20 metres away from the empty stone landmark, where 200 upscale homes are proposed in a $30 million redevelopment.

Dudack noticed immediately when by-invitation-only sales centre quietly opened last week. It opens to the general public Sept. 10.

“This is great. Last week alone, just with the showings for people from emails, I’ve seen an increase in business,” Dudack said.

“They get sales brochures and go for a walk, get a coffee and talk.”

The landmark factory is visible through his front door. Its future has been the talk of regulars since it closed in 2007. Talk regularly turns to when renovations might start, people will move in.

“They’re all going to want coffee . . . you hope for the best.”

More than 1,300 people submitted names online over the last year to get first crack at the 200 units approved by city council, said developer Shawky Fahel from Waterloo.

So far, only 40 units are up for sale, scattered throughout a building overlooking the Speed River and another parallel to Queen Street.

It’s a conscious effort to balance sales throughout the four old buildings, Fahel said.

“The building on the river, we could have sold it in 24 hours,” he said.

“We’re very happy — we’re overwhelmed — with the response.”

Demolition and renovation could start by winter, Fahel said. The first units would be ready for residents by November 2013.

Units range from 560 square feet to 1,495 square feet. Price depends on location in the building — river views and upper floors with higher ceilings cost more.

For now, the average price is around $300 a square foot, Fahel said. So that’s an average price of $168,000 for the smallest unit, or $448,500 for the largest.

As of Wednesday, 60 people have placed $1,000 deposits so they can consider buying. Fahel would only say “we’ve sold some,” when asked how many people signed purchase contracts.

Another 40 units will be ready for the public opening of the sales centre in three weeks, then another 45 by winter. The last 75 units in a building facing Queen Street won’t start construction for several more years, after a planned Hespeler sewage treatment expansion.

Over the past 30 years, Mark Cohen has sold 60,000 new condominiums across southern Ontario and western Canada. His Toronto-based The Condo Store realty is selling Riverbank Lofts for Fahel.

This is no collection of “cookie cutter, mass-produced” condos in a utilitarian building, he said. Instead, units will fit into the existing corners of the factory.

“This project stands out. It is a really, truly unique project . . . I think that makes it extremely valuable and extraordinarily challenging, and fun.”
                           The Hespeler Village is a selling point for the development, along with riverside trails and nature areas, Cohen said.

That’s what merchants are planning for: people living, working and spending — all within an easy walk of home, said Karen Grant, executive director of the local business association. Other buildings are under renovation, all the storefronts are full in a compact downtown with a hardbitten reputation.
                           “I think this a huge lift for Hespeler. I think it will really change, transform downtown Hespeler, but we have been moving in that direction for several years,” Grant said.
Is work underway on this project?
I haven't heard anything about sales, let alone anything about construction.
Their banners say work begins this fall; they still have a month or two that count as fall.
Wow, it seems like forever ago that these went on sale. Quite surprised that 2 years later work has yet to begin at the site!

I really do get the feeling that this will be a special development when all is said and done; especially the units in the building fronting the river.
Any updates on this yet?

Looks like Hip Developments is taking over this project and is planning some significant alterations.

http://m.therecord.com/news-story/592031...ctory-site
Not a big fan of this change. Heaven knows Queen Street could use the new faces, but I'm not sure a 14-storey tower there is not going to make the right statement. Not to mention it comes at the cost of one of the key buildings on the property. The place must be an engineering mess inside.
I think I'm of the mindset that any news is a good thing on this one.
(09-18-2015, 09:48 PM)Spokes Wrote: I think I'm of the mindset that any news is a good thing on this one.

This.  There have been so many false starts that almost any viable plan is better than status quo.  This one doesn't preserve all the buildings, but goes a long way towards increasing density and revitalizing Hespeler.
I thought this was already announced?
http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/mobile/condo...-1.2781884
Whoa - where did this come from? I'm assuming this will be at the Corner of Queen St. and Spring St. guess that old warehouse is getting demolished. 

http://www.hipdevelopments.com/project/standard

"On the site of the old American Standard factory in Historic Downtown Hespeler, comes a 10 storey luxury apartment community with modern interior finishes and fabulous views of the Speed River and Mill Pond.
This building will feature condo style finishes and amenities, including an expansive Residents' Lounge, a large rooftop terrace, a fitness facility and a planned café and patio on Queen Street.
Residents will enjoy the ambiance of the river and the proximity of parks, dining and shopping in the Village."

The CTV article claims "A total of 152 condo units will be created in the former American Standard plant, with 45 more in the riverside mill building." so I don't think they are demolishing the plant if they plan on making 45 condos in the building.

edit: Here's the render from the newspaper. I'm glad to see this going ahread.

Clasher - I meant the old Warehouse on the other side of the property where the Apartment will be located....and looks like I was right...

Demolition underway in Hespeler for The Standard

"CAMBRIDGE – Demolition is underway at the former American Standard factory complex in the heart of Hespeler.

Work crews got the OK to demolish two old buildings on the site to make way for HIP Developments’ new 10-storey highrise apartment building.

It will take a month to clear the site, according to company officials and interest by potential buyers is growing as activity on the site increases...."
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »