Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hamilton Development
Seems like large scale developments continue to be proposed in Hamilton even without the LRT. I expected this to slow down, but I guess investors are going all out with the hope that Hamilton will become the Brooklyn of Toronto. Hamilton does have a lot going for it compared to kwc to become the choice for millennials that prefer an urban environment. Once they realize Toronto is too expensive to live. Hamilton has an older built form that consists of a grid system which makes it extremely walkable, They have one concentrated downtown vs arguable 5 in kwc, which allows for most of the cultural amenities to be concentrated. They have 2 professional sports teams vs Kitchener 0.  I would argue that the connection to nature is better in Hamilton due to the escarpment and lake Ontario. KWC has the grand river, but in my opinion does a poor job at showcasing it. They have better access to Toronto through the lakeshore line, which will always have better service than Kitchener line. The only reason I choose kwc over Hamilton when I decided to leave Toronto was family and the guarantee of the LRT. 

[Image: B881035315Z.1_20200205104901_000_GV3SGB7S.3-0.jpg]

[Image: B881035315Z.1_20200205104901_000_GV3SGB5T.3-0.jpg]

[Image: B881035315Z.1_20200205104901_000_GV3SGB6V.3-0.jpg]

[Image: B881035315Z.1_20200205104901_000_GV3SGB74.3-0.jpg]

[Image: B881035315Z.1_20200205104901_000_GV3SGB79.3-0.jpg]

[Image: B881035315Z.1_20200205104901_000_GV3SGB7M.3-0.jpg]

I wish we would see these types of office developments in Downtown Kitchener, Even uptown although i know that will never happen. Unfortunately I think a few things are stopping this. RIM left a large quantity of suburban office space that needed to be lease, I would argue that Waterloo is also preventing this from happening as they continue to build more suburban 90's style tech offices in the David Johnston Research & Technology park.

(02-06-2020, 12:46 PM)westwardloo Wrote: Seems like large scale developments continue to be proposed in Hamilton even without the LRT. I expected this to slow down, but I guess investors are going all out with the hope that Hamilton will become the Brooklyn of Toronto. Hamilton does have a lot going for it compared to kwc to become the choice for millennials that prefer an urban environment. Once they realize Toronto is too expensive to live. Hamilton has an older built form that consists of a grid system which makes it extremely walkable, They have one concentrated downtown vs arguable 5 in kwc, which allows for most of the cultural amenities to be concentrated. They have 2 professional sports teams vs Kitchener 0.  I would argue that the connection to nature is better in Hamilton due to the escarpment and lake Ontario. KWC has the grand river, but in my opinion does a poor job at showcasing it. They have better access to Toronto through the lakeshore line, which will always have better service than Kitchener line. The only reason I choose kwc over Hamilton when I decided to leave Toronto was family and the guarantee of the LRT. 
I wish we would see these types of office developments in Downtown Kitchener, Even uptown although i know that will never happen. Unfortunately I think a few things are stopping this. RIM left a large quantity of suburban office space that needed to be lease, I would argue that Waterloo is also preventing this from happening as they continue to build more suburban 90's style tech offices in the David Johnston Research & Technology park.

Bang on save for the sports thing and maybe the connection to nature depending on your preferred activity.

KW Titans are a pro team.
(02-06-2020, 01:17 PM)Chris Wrote: Bang on save for the sports thing and maybe the connection to nature depending on your preferred activity.

KW Titans are a pro team.
Go Titans! just went to my first game the other weekend. Lot of fun, I hope it catches on in this region. I will say the CFL is the only actual pro franchise, but the CPL is at least national. I have a feeling like it will take off and become a staple in Canada. That is part of the reason i want KW to jump on it in the early stages, It will become more and more difficult to get a franchise as the league develops.
From Wikipedia, Hamilton has three:

Coke
(02-06-2020, 12:46 PM)westwardloo Wrote: Seems like large scale developments continue to be proposed in Hamilton even without the LRT. I expected this to slow down, but I guess investors are going all out with the hope that Hamilton will become the Brooklyn of Toronto. Hamilton does have a lot going for it compared to kwc to become the choice for millennials that prefer an urban environment. Once they realize Toronto is too expensive to live. Hamilton has an older built form that consists of a grid system which makes it extremely walkable, They have one concentrated downtown vs arguable 5 in kwc, which allows for most of the cultural amenities to be concentrated. They have 2 professional sports teams vs Kitchener 0.  I would argue that the connection to nature is better in Hamilton due to the escarpment and lake Ontario. KWC has the grand river, but in my opinion does a poor job at showcasing it. They have better access to Toronto through the lakeshore line, which will always have better service than Kitchener line. The only reason I choose kwc over Hamilton when I decided to leave Toronto was family and the guarantee of the LRT. 

[Image: B881035315Z.1_20200205104901_000_GV3SGB7S.3-0.jpg]

[Image: B881035315Z.1_20200205104901_000_GV3SGB5T.3-0.jpg]

[Image: B881035315Z.1_20200205104901_000_GV3SGB6V.3-0.jpg]

[Image: B881035315Z.1_20200205104901_000_GV3SGB74.3-0.jpg]

[Image: B881035315Z.1_20200205104901_000_GV3SGB79.3-0.jpg]

[Image: B881035315Z.1_20200205104901_000_GV3SGB7M.3-0.jpg]

This is the exact kind of innovation Waterloo Region/Kitchener needs for the King-Victoria Station area.

Just superimpose these models on the King-Victoria site and add a station building connection. Grand visioning is not that hard and leads to better outcomes.
"I would like to apologize to anyone i have not offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly."
(02-06-2020, 12:46 PM)westwardloo Wrote: I wish we would see these types of office developments in Downtown Kitchener, Even uptown although i know that will never happen. Unfortunately I think a few things are stopping this. RIM left a large quantity of suburban office space that needed to be lease, I would argue that Waterloo is also preventing this from happening as they continue to build more suburban 90's style tech offices in the David Johnston Research & Technology park.

I would too. We do have some viable land in the DTCore, but even if we were to use it, there are several other area's that we could urbanize a lot more, but it's difficult with NIMBY'ism and the heritage folks. Kitchener could sell some parking lots to help pay for their new garage and put high density offices or condo/apartments in. One example example is the lot across from the Dollarama on King/Frederick. The lot behind next to Oracle. I am sure there are a ton of options. You just need the right developer and mentality.
(02-06-2020, 02:32 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 12:46 PM)westwardloo Wrote: I wish we would see these types of office developments in Downtown Kitchener, Even uptown although i know that will never happen. Unfortunately I think a few things are stopping this. RIM left a large quantity of suburban office space that needed to be lease, I would argue that Waterloo is also preventing this from happening as they continue to build more suburban 90's style tech offices in the David Johnston Research & Technology park.

I would too. We do have some viable land in the DTCore, but even if we were to use it, there are several other area's that we could urbanize a lot more, but it's difficult with NIMBY'ism and the heritage folks. Kitchener could sell some parking lots to help pay for their new garage and put high density offices or condo/apartments in. One example example is the lot across from the Dollarama on King/Frederick. The lot behind next to Oracle. I am sure there are a ton of options. You just need the right developer and mentality.
I think the biggest issue currently in the region is we have a few smaller local developer and the bigger ones tend to be from London, which to be honest is a small town city. Hamilton has their own smaller local developers and then they are getting bigger companies from Toronto, which tend to look a bit bigger. I am still waiting on the Toronto players to discover KWC and start some big momentum here. Not that there hasn't been great progress in the past 10 years. There is lots of land in the DTcore it is just a narrow core so everything seems close to a "heritage" home.  345 king and the google office are great additions, but they max out at 10fl this proposal is a 25fl and a 21fl and a 12fl office building proposal, these will be huge.

(02-06-2020, 02:32 PM)jeffster Wrote: I would too. We do have some viable land in the DTCore, but even if we were to use it, there are several other area's that we could urbanize a lot more, but it's difficult with NIMBY'ism and the heritage folks. Kitchener could sell some parking lots to help pay for their new garage and put high density offices or condo/apartments in. One example example is the lot across from the Dollarama on King/Frederick. The lot behind next to Oracle. I am sure there are a ton of options. You just need the right developer and mentality.

The parking lot behind Oracle/NetSuite/Igloo/TD/Canada Trust is owned by EuroPro (which also owns the building), not the city.
(02-06-2020, 04:47 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 02:32 PM)jeffster Wrote: I would too. We do have some viable land in the DTCore, but even if we were to use it, there are several other area's that we could urbanize a lot more, but it's difficult with NIMBY'ism and the heritage folks. Kitchener could sell some parking lots to help pay for their new garage and put high density offices or condo/apartments in. One example example is the lot across from the Dollarama on King/Frederick. The lot behind next to Oracle. I am sure there are a ton of options. You just need the right developer and mentality.

The parking lot behind Oracle/NetSuite/Igloo/TD/Canada Trust is owned by EuroPro (which also owns the building), not the city.
I don't have much faith in EuroPro developing anything in this city. I see them more as an asset holder type of company. When the time comes the will divest their DTK assets.
(02-06-2020, 04:59 PM)westwardloo Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 04:47 PM)tomh009 Wrote: The parking lot behind Oracle/NetSuite/Igloo/TD/Canada Trust is owned by EuroPro (which also owns the building), not the city.

I don't have much faith in EuroPro developing anything in this city. I see them more as an asset holder type of company. When the time comes the will divest their DTK assets.

My point was simply that the city cannot sell or develop that parking lot since it does not own it.
The lot across from Dollarama was marked for future development involving an internal parking garage.
I think it goes back to the old Forum
(02-06-2020, 04:47 PM)tomh009 Wrote:

Europro also owns the one across from Dollarama.
(02-06-2020, 06:53 PM)white_brian Wrote: The lot across from Dollarama was marked for future development involving an internal parking garage.
I think it goes back to the old Forum

This was floated a few years back:  https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/...hp?tid=356

Now there is a blast from the past...
The building of 345 King W gives me hope that, some day, that gap will be filled.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »