Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(01-23-2022, 11:44 PM)nms Wrote:
(01-19-2022, 04:33 PM)plam Wrote: Speaking of trains and roundabouts, I did see a train track going right through a roundabout in NZ. That track doesn't get a lot of trains (and the roundabout doesn't get a lot of cars either). But it seems like going straight through is the thing. I don't think it was signalled, but different country etc.

There is a roundabout in Calgary that includes a double CP track, so it has been done in Canada, on a Class 1 railway no less.

As for snow days, I was in the school system from the mid-80s until 2010 by the time I finished post-graduate work.  At the time, UW tied their snow policy to the school boards.  I can recall snow days happening at least once a year every few years in that period.  The most dramatic one was when the schools were closed midday and the children were dismissed early.  That was a fun walk home!  There was also a time in the last 10 years or so where so much snow fell in the winter that people were running out of places to put the snow that had been shoveled from their sidewalks or driveways. Of a particular challenge were the banks that were higher than residential snow blowers could fling the snow.

When my kids went to school their were a lot of snow days. I think the issue stems from a time when most kids walked to school, or perhaps took city transit, by the time the mid-90's arrived, Kitchener Transit lost the school business, and yellow busses for a larger and larger set of kids. I think it was close to 4 or 5 times a year.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by jeffster - 01-24-2022, 02:03 AM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM