Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(01-18-2022, 03:41 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(01-18-2022, 03:03 PM)tomh009 Wrote: How much power do snowblower batteries put out? A short search showed that an electric lawnmower might use something like 800W under load.

800W would be very low for a snowblower (just over 1 HP). See below for information on wattage of battery units.

(01-18-2022, 02:26 PM)Bytor Wrote: 1,800W to be precise. Or 1,875W if your mains, like mine, test out at 125V. ;-)

Actually, the NEC and I believe our Canadian code matches it, limits the maximum continuous wattage of equipment on a 15A circuit to only 80% of the breakers capacity, so 1440W is the typical figure I hear.

But yeah, about 2 HP, rather anemic even from a low end gas blower.

Where as a high end battery unit could have 2 * 60 volt batteries * 7.5 amp hours * 5C discharge rate could easily draw up to 4500 Watts... or almost 6 HP which would be typical for a small engine in a snow blower.  That being said, I couldn't find any figures on actual wattage for these units, so I have no idea how much of that capacity they are using.

Yes, 6 hp would translate to about 4500 W. But none of the units I saw show the rating of the motors so I really don't know how much current they draw. Somebody quoted about 20 minutes of runtime from a pair of Ryobi 40 V 6 Ah batteries (using a $1700 snowblower). If that's the case, it ran at roughly 18A x 40 V x 2 = 1440 W ... looks much like what you'd get from a standard house outlet ...

(Of course you can run 20A or 30A equipment from your house panel, too, but you'll need to have the wiring to match.)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by tomh009 - 01-18-2022, 04:08 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM