Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
You cannot cross the tracks on King near Victoria; GrandLinq has placed fences up with no pedestrian pass-through, and has disabled the railway crossings.  A recent update indicated that CN required that construction start no sooner than 3 weeks after the fence went up to acclimatize people to the new restriction and try as best as possible to ensure that no one gets hit by a train there.

As for the Waterloo Park Culvert, it's 3 "tubes" wide, and each will have 10 box segments. Last weekend, 4 segments were placed (12 total), with 18 more remaining.

(07-15-2015, 08:35 PM)Canard Wrote: You cannot cross the tracks on King near Victoria; GrandLinq has placed fences up with no pedestrian pass-through, and has disabled the railway crossings.  A recent update indicated that CN required that construction start no sooner than 3 weeks after the fence went up to acclimatize people to the new restriction and try as best as possible to ensure that no one gets hit by a train there.

Hmm, maybe it's really closed now.  Where is the nearest pedestrian crossing?  Do I recall correctly that Waterloo Street is out of action, too?

Weber works fine for cars, but it's rather out of the way for pedestrians.
(07-15-2015, 09:53 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(07-15-2015, 08:35 PM)Canard Wrote: You cannot cross the tracks on King near Victoria; GrandLinq has placed fences up with no pedestrian pass-through, and has disabled the railway crossings.  A recent update indicated that CN required that construction start no sooner than 3 weeks after the fence went up to acclimatize people to the new restriction and try as best as possible to ensure that no one gets hit by a train there.

Hmm, maybe it's really closed now.  Where is the nearest pedestrian crossing?  Do I recall correctly that Waterloo Street is out of action, too?

I think Duke works? I saw a frustrated pedestrian trying to cross the tracks at Victoria last week.
Duke to the east. Bramm to the west?
Duke works, but it's almost 10 minutes of extra walking (if your intent is to continue along King).

I don't think Bramm crosses the railway tracks, it'd be Park to the west, probably a 20-minute detour by foot.
King Street will be closed from Union to Allen starting Monday, July 20. Intersection of King and Allen to be closed starting July 22 for approximately 8 weeks.
(07-15-2015, 09:53 PM)tomh009 Wrote:

Yeah I ended up using Duke... I started to walk down Waterloo then realized that was closed as well. Pretty annoying.

(07-16-2015, 09:06 AM)Waterlooer Wrote: King Street will be closed from Union to Allen starting Monday, July 20. Intersection of King and Allen to be closed starting July 22 for approximately 8 weeks.

Does that mean that the stretch from Breithaupt (if not Victoria) to Union is now completed?
There are now 18 culvert units staged on site. They're installing some large sandbags, presumably in response to the repeated flooding. They still haven't drained the site again.
(07-16-2015, 09:38 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(07-16-2015, 09:06 AM)Waterlooer Wrote: King Street will be closed from Union to Allen starting Monday, July 20. Intersection of King and Allen to be closed starting July 22 for approximately 8 weeks.

Does that mean that the stretch from Breithaupt (if not Victoria) to Union is now completed?

To be honest, I have no idea how far they are on that section of King :/ If my math is correct and we are 17 weeks into construction along that stretch, construction is technically supposed to be at slide 23 HERE. No road reconstruction has occurred yet so I don't believe construction has progressed this far yet.

I'm trying to visualize this, but... how will GRT get from UpTown to Park/Weber? If they pre-emptively removed the UpTown iXpress stop, Erb would work for them (or else a loop back along William to Erb). But with Caroline closed up to Allen, and then King closed from Allen, and Allen/King soon to be closed, is the 7 now into a new, impossible detour, necessitated by the slow progress on Caroline?
(07-16-2015, 10:48 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote:

I'm trying to visualize this, but... how will GRT get from UpTown to Park/Weber? If they pre-emptively removed the UpTown iXpress stop, Erb would work for them (or else a loop back along William to Erb). But with Caroline closed up to Allen, and then King closed from Allen, and Allen/King soon to be closed, is the 7 now into a new, impossible detour, necessitated by the slow progress on Caroline?

Route 7 will apparently be travelling up Park Street, then turn right on William, then left on King. I'm assuming the intersection of Caroline and William will be open by the time they start this detour on Monday. The 200 will be using the Erb/Bridgeport detour.
William at Caroline is indeed getting prepped for reopening:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Fencing is down at William/Caroline. Roller truck smoothing out the dirt. <a href="http://t.co/MjgrAFrVed">pic.twitter.com/MjgrAFrVed</a></p>&mdash; Mark Jackson-Brown (@Markster3000) <a href="https://twitter.com/Markster3000/status/621679842128363520">July 16, 2015</a></blockquote>

According to the GRT site just now, the 200 iXpress to Contestoga is routed From Charles Street Terminal, L on Gaukel St, R on Joseph St, R on Water St, L on Weber St, L on Bridgeport Rd, R on King St, then resume regular routing." So it looks like the King/Union and Uptown stops are closed entirely starting July 20th.

The #7s are routed "Charles Street Transit Terminal, L on Gaukel St, R on Joseph St, L on Victoria St, R on Park St, R on William St, L on King St". But last I saw the William/Caroline intersection was still under construction, hope they've planned for that. [Edit: Just saw the post above, looks like at least that won't be a problem.]

I assume like all the other recent detours, GRT is only going to announce this on their Twitter/Facebook feeds the day before the detour begins, and there will be a lot of confused people at the iXpress stops on Monday morning.
It will become even more confusing for route 7 once they close Park Street at the railway tracks. There will then be a detour on a detour on a detour Tongue
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »