Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(07-19-2021, 06:47 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote:
(07-19-2021, 05:01 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: And you misunderstand the situation, on channelized turns in our region the signal button is ALSO on the post on the island, meaning one must cross the uncontrolled crosswalk to get to the island to push the button. It's exactly the same situation as here.

It's the same situation except that pedestrians have the right of way at every other slip lane in the region. That combined with the fact the traffic (train) is coming from behind as you cross is what makes the intersection unusual and potentially dangerous. Pedestrians see a walk signal from across Victoria and expect traffic to yield to them when crossing the tracks, and don't hear a quiet train creeping up behind them. The slow speed has prevented any incidents, but I don't think we can simply discount the number of close calls people are reporting, because it doesn't take a lot for a train to seriously injure or kill a pedestrian. It's not the same as other pedestrian-LRT interactions because of the right of way expectation and orientation of the crossing with respect to the train travel.

What potential danger? That an LRV operator would be distracted on a phone while making a right turn and not see a pedestrian? I don't really think that's a significant danger. The point is LRV operators are attentive, they are looking for pedestrians, and have no view problems and moving extremely slowly.

People are reporting close calls because people think being near the train is a "close call". People are afraid of the train because it's new and scary, but if a driver was just near them, they'd not call it a "close call".

I do believe people feel uncomfortable at this crossing and that there are things that could improve (the island should be bigger), but people are making this out to be a death trap, and I strongly disagree.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by danbrotherston - 07-19-2021, 07:55 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM