Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
A friend on Facebook is claiming

→" The deal was at the LRT Corridor was going to be used for affordable housing."

When I asked them where they got that from, because I had never heard it before in spite of following the LRT project since almost the very beginning, they claimed that a city planner told them this just before the pandemic lockdown started and told them that this was "official".

This seems fishy to me because I don't remember hearing anything like that at all in the decade-long lead-up to ION construction, and if it truly was official, I'd expect that is supposed plan to make all housing in the corridor affordable to be a very big part of what was communicated and difficult to forget.

Leaving aside for the moment where all this money would come from for thousands of affordable apartments to pay the owners the RGI differentials, or what developers my friend imagines would buy expensive coral and and build apartments on it and rent them of cheaply, what do you all think of this claim? Am I the person in the wrong who is just forgotten this supposed promise that the LRT Corridor would be affordable housing? Or is it that my friend misunderstood what the city planner told them?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by Bytor - 05-31-2021, 09:55 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM