Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(04-27-2021, 08:24 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(04-26-2021, 11:27 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: No, I meant the latter.

First of all, it isn't 10m, it's 30-50 depending on which side of the street you're on. I'm not suggesting two ped crossings within 30 meters of each other obviously, one crossing that is 30m wide would be just fine, as long as it can be actuated from both the platform and from the corner of Willis way.

There's no reason to make pedestrians walk an extra 100 meters out of their way to activate a crossing if they're going onto FDB just to activate a crossing, and it costs nothing but a length of wire.

But honestly, I fully expect they will not directly access the platform, then the engineers will be shocked, SHOCKED I say when peds CONTINUE to ignore their idiotic infra.

Extending the island is a good idea though...I have very cynical opinions about why it wasn't done in the first place.

I think there might be some confusion. Here is the image from the comment site showing where the proposed crossover is to go:

As you can see, the location is about 10m south of the existing crossing from the west side to the LRT platform (measured in Google Maps). The location should be moved north so it is straight in line with the existing crossing.

A second new crossing, by contrast, is a good idea, specifically crossing just south of Father David Bauer so that the intersection of FDB with Caroline would have pedestrian crossings on all 3 streets.

Ahh, sorry, yes, I am misunderstanding, I never saw that picture.

If I had to speculate, staff are doing that to avoid having a straight crossing across the LRT tracks, LRV operators would not know if somoene is running for the platform, or running to cross the tracks...

I'm not certain I agree with their strategy, but that's my guess.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by danbrotherston - 04-27-2021, 09:04 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM