Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(04-13-2021, 12:27 AM)jwilliamson Wrote:
(04-12-2021, 08:38 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: That being said, if we're talking traditional LRT, I suspect one of the top bang for buck options is to make the north end of the LRT a loop...continue south from Conestoga Mall, split when Regina St. starts and make King and Regina one lane one way for cars, one lane, one way for LRT, and continue south and link up with the existing tracks in Uptown.  In addition to linking Laurier up directly, and also linking up a HUGE popuplation node, there is actually an enormous amount of empty land for development and plenty of area for intensification.  And the distance isn't very far, it would be a relatively low cost for that return.

How would you run service on such a loop? If you split the service so half the trains go north through Waterloo Park and half go north along King, then you only have half the frequency on either branch. You could add some trains that just run along the loop, but then there are more transfers.

(I'm not saying this is a bad idea, I'm just curious.)

Yeah, that is a good question, I've thought about that a few times, and I'm not really sure, I think running half up King and half up the Spur would make the most sense, frequency would be halved but that's okay so long as our frequency is high already...and stations near the north end (Northfield, Conestoga) would still see good frequencies, because for most destinations, it wouldn't matter which direction they got on.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by danbrotherston - 04-13-2021, 07:25 AM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM