Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(12-07-2020, 02:09 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(12-07-2020, 01:54 PM)neonjoe Wrote: They may be on track to do this. The region had an Tender out for 30' transit coaches. It looks like it was awarded.
https://regionofwaterloo.bidsandtenders....f58c3a6250

I completely agree that frequency is key, but I don't think that smaller buses help that much, it would be nice to have a specific number on operating costs, but given that driver and maintenance will be about the same, and fuel will be a large fraction of a full size bus, I cannot imagine the savings is much, and the operation cost of having to manage a fleet with more than one type of bus isn't free either, it could literally come out negative.

I'm really of the opinion that we should focus strongly on last high frequency fixed route services from density nodes, while strongly facilitating last mile connections through things like bike lanes and bike and scooter shares.

I think short buses are often not the win for the reasons you say. The only thing is the perceived wastefulness of an empty bus. But perceived wastefulness of a single-occupant car is somehow fine. There must be some studies about this.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by plam - 12-07-2020, 04:56 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM