Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(08-26-2020, 01:07 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(08-26-2020, 12:56 PM)Bytor Wrote: I would guess that a maintenance person using equipment on the tracks is much cheaper in terms of labour costs than an LRV driver.

I don't think it is that, the snow removal was ongoing during the daytime when LRVs were running. I suspect that Grandlinq feels that snow removal is necessary even when LRVs are running, I am not certain why they change their opinion.

That being said, I must agree, it seems like much of the embedded track does not need to be embedded....we even have weird scenarios like on Hayward where the track switches between ballasted to embedded and back twice in a few hundred meter span.

I'm not a railway engineer, but I am guessing much of this has to do with blindly applying standards and processes without thinking or contextualizing. It's the same way we got a King/Moore intersection seemingly designed to kill cyclists.
I think it was more of a "if we don't clear this wet, sloppy sh*t now it will freeze up and cause headaches later." They were absolutely running trains to keep the tracks clear but there was also a few spots where road plows were throwing a bunch of thick wet snow or ice chunks onto the side running tracks and then the LRVs would just push it back onto the road.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by trainspotter139 - 08-26-2020, 02:30 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM