Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(06-11-2020, 04:37 PM)If tomh009 Wrote:
(06-11-2020, 03:21 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Is there a list of low-cost housing that has been lost due to LRT-related development?  I don't think WRC has a gentrification thread.   In Kitchener, the losses seem to me to be fairly limited so far, but I haven't been paying a lot of attention.  There have been a few renovations in DTK, which I suppose would be in the category of "gentrification" (perhaps more than I realized?).  There is also the move of One Roof Youth Services, I suppose.  On the other side, I'm not aware of any proposals for new public housing, new co-ops, or rent-geared-to-income projects in the Downtown area.

Thinking about it, I guess the renovation of the Windemere Apartments at 48 Weber St W would be DTK's biggest example of a gentrification project to date.

270 Spadina and the Cedar St apartments have also both been renovated. Does that automatically make them gentrified?

As for ROOF, they indicated that their preference was to relocate a little bit away from the downtown core (but still transit-accessible).
Yes, I thought that One Roof’s move was probably a good move.   270 Spadina certainly seemed like an upgrade, but not related to LRT, istm.  I suppose that, any time somebody buys and renovates a home in the core, it could be considered “gentrification”, especially if it had previously been a more modest rental.  I guess all the new towers in DTK are examples of gentrification, even when nobody is diplaced by the project.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by panamaniac - 06-11-2020, 05:07 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM