Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(06-06-2020, 01:19 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(06-05-2020, 09:32 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Unfortunately, I cannot find the site I (and others) sent to the regional engineers years ago. Here's an article mentioning these tramway flanges used in Zurich https://www.streetfilms.org/cyclists-vs-...in-zurich/ , but it is not a link to an english site.

Unfortunately, as I understand it, the price would be very high, it needs to be embedded in the track, it basically replaces the existing embedded rubber...I'll call it a gasket...surrounding the track, as a result, the products I am aware of would require ripping up all the concrete around the tracks...this would be rather expensive.  It's possible a different product is available or could be developed to retrofit into the flangeway but I am not aware of any such product.

The best I think could be reasonably accomplished would be something like the top right of page 13 on this document: https://altaplanning.com/wp-content/uplo...o_ALTA.pdf

That could be accomplished with paint and a sign, if we were willing to rework some surface concrete that could be even better.  It's not ideal, the sidewalk is poorly suited as a MUT, it's too narrow, and the intersection is terrible. But that ship has sailed, we are stuck with that unfortunate poor design.  But with a little paint and a sign it could be miles better. 

Thanks. Yeah, it's not promising. I found a discussion of this in a Seattle bike blog page (link below), and they said it's not very effective. It's expensive ($1M/km -- although using it only in selected areas would not be so bad), doesn't eliminate wheel jamming issues, and it has to be replaced regularly.
https://www.seattlebikeblog.com/2015/03/...le-biking/

Paint and sign seems like the best option at this point. Not everyone will pay attention but it should significantly mitigate the problem.

Yes, the cost is clearly a non-issue when it comes to our conditions which have only a few dozen meters of track in a conflict zone.

I definitely prefer a separation scenario as well, I wish they had actually built cycling infra in this area.

In my experience it's especially dangerous since in order to cross the tracks at a good angle a cyclist must move right, before swinging left, there is no more dangerous behaviour a cyclist could do than to move right, then swerve left with a downhill driver bearing down on them.

I stand behind my statements on this topic.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by danbrotherston - 06-06-2020, 01:48 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM