Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(06-05-2020, 09:38 PM)dtkvictim Wrote:
(06-05-2020, 07:31 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: The Weber design is indicative of the regional issues...it took years to get signs put up, and the engineers who designed it had this exact conversation:

"This says we need a MUT, what's a MUT?"

"It's like a wide sidewalk I think."

"Wide sidewalk it is."

To be fair, it continues for more than two blocks, it's meant to connect the Spur Line Trail to Water St.
Oh, I didn't realize it was more than two blocks, because there is no visual indication it's not just a sidewalk beyond that point (there's a sign, but the sidewalk design just looks like a sidewalk). Looking at Google maps now... I was also never certain if only the South/West side was a MUT, or both sides, since they look the same. Based on the signs, I'm assuming just the South/West side is. If you are a cyclist taking Weber to Waterloo, what's the proper etiquette for

1. Getting from Weber to the MUT at Water? Do you make a left turn onto the sidewalk, or dismount on the right side and cross as a pedestrian twice?
  2. Crossing the signalized intersections, do you have to dismount when it's a MUT?
I never wanted to bother with Weber when cycling to work, so I took Duke for most of it. Although, the Duke and Victoria light doesn't change for cyclists, so I eventually gave up and just started walking to work...

Yup...it's pretty terrible.

Generally when I bike, I will come up Water, turn left into the parking lot (I suspect this is less surprising to drivers than trying to make a left turn onto the sidewalk, and it saves some time). I merge onto the MUT/sidewalk and proceed on the west side of Weber. I won't stay publicly whether I dismount to cross, but sufficies to say that I find it ridiculous that the regional engineers did not provide for a crossing for the users of the MUT, and that I don't believe dismounting improves safety, if drivers are going to turn without looking, I don't believe it matters whether you are on a bike or not, the Victoria St. corner is so poorly designed for non-motor vehicle users anyway.

It is sure is a shame that you were forced by the poor infrastructure in the region to give up cycling to work Sad.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by danbrotherston - 06-05-2020, 09:59 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM