Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Am I correct in assuming that "building affordable housing" in this context means "subsidized housing"? It seems to me that requiring subsidized housing on a large scale in order to provide good transit to lower incomes shouldn't be looked at as a desirable thing, and signifies failures on multiple fronts (requiring large scale subsidized housing and failing to provide good transit outside of a single, easily gentrified corridor). Personally I think that the city's only responsibility when it comes to affordability should be land use decisions that encourage appropriate amounts of development.

Just some questions as I'm a bit ignorant on the topic:

Are there cities around the world that manage mix income neighbourhoods without subsidizing the lower incomes?
How can purpose build subsidized housing not turn into "ghettos"?
I've come across the argument that highrise development can not be affordable, as the price per square foot after a certain height begins rising again. Of course, higher property values raise the base cost of development, meaning higher buildings can be built. Are the larger buildings being built around the Ion corridor beyond that height/cost equilibrium?

As a side note, calling subsidized housing "affordable housing" seems very dishonest to me.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by dtkvictim - 05-25-2020, 01:56 AM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM