Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(05-05-2020, 04:51 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(05-05-2020, 03:51 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Theoretically I always knew it would be obvious, but looking at the aerial imagery just makes me that much more pissed off about how this situation was created. I count well over a dozen desire paths leading to businesses in the plazas, as well as an actual trail crossing the hydro corridor. The icing on the cake is the access point behind the Shoppers, which had an groomed trail, ramp, and pedestrian crossing marked in the parking lot, but now leads to a fence. I don't believe any planner looked at this area and thought moving the trail to the other side of the hydro corridor and completely cutting off access to the businesses was an acceptable solution. They just didn't care.

My question is, who determined what crossings were needed? Whose responsibility was it? Were these given to the planning team as requirements, or was the planning team just told to figure out what crossings were necessary?

This is an honest question, I have no idea what the planning team's terms of reference were.

"Who determined"...it doesn't matter who determined...if someone gives you requirements, and you can see that they are wrong, you should tell them about it...even if it isn't your job.  As Bob_McBob said, apathy is the problem.

What really bugs me at a regional level is they release all these planning and vision documents that have nice platitudes like the goal should be choice of transportation options, and limiting climate change is essential. And today, at council they received a report about the ~100 million dollars to be spent on road widenings in the next two years. That isn't a choice policy, that's a car policy.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by danbrotherston - 05-05-2020, 09:13 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM