Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(05-05-2020, 03:51 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote:
(05-05-2020, 01:02 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: In this case I have no hesitation in calling out the planning process as incompetent because the existence of “desire lines” was evident in aerial photography available to everybody, from politicians to designers to every armchair critic in the world, by just taking a look at Google Maps. If the people responsible for planning major infrastructure can’t be bothered to take a quick look at the aerial photography before proceeding with detailed design, then they are negligent in their duty to the public.

Theoretically I always knew it would be obvious, but looking at the aerial imagery just makes me that much more pissed off about how this situation was created. I count well over a dozen desire paths leading to businesses in the plazas, as well as an actual trail crossing the hydro corridor. The icing on the cake is the access point behind the Shoppers, which had an groomed trail, ramp, and pedestrian crossing marked in the parking lot, but now leads to a fence. I don't believe any planner looked at this area and thought moving the trail to the other side of the hydro corridor and completely cutting off access to the businesses was an acceptable solution. They just didn't care.

[Image: XJJzP9P.png]

Not sure if I understand you correctly, but I believe the spot they choose was ideal because it was close to low-cost groceries with Food Basic -- they also have a pharmacy, close to the LCBO, Dollarama and PetSmart. These are the places that most of the people would use who need to require. Those by the two large apartments can still walk to Shoppers quickly if they want to, and the walking distance to the other shops are unchanged.

You can argue they should have had two crossings though.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by jeffster - 05-05-2020, 04:37 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM