Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(05-01-2020, 01:42 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: This is one of those cases where I really wish we had more information.

I’m pretty much convinced that the fences should not be there. I haven’t actually been there and investigated carefully enough to be 100% certain, but based on what I’ve seen in this thread I feel pretty comfortable saying they are a mistake and should not have been built.

That being said, whose mistake? Fearful insurance companies? Fearful business owners? Courts which make stupid liability decisions? City planners following a rule book that clearly doesn’t apply? I don’t know and can’t tell without more detail about how the design decisions were made.

I agree it could be any of them, but I don't care who or why, there's more than enough blame to go around. At the end of the day the city built it, they should have pushed back on the requirements to have fencing if those requirements didn't come from them. I am utterly sick and tired of the excuses. This was an oversight 5 years ago, I can buy, that a mistake was made, our planning--even for public transit--completely ignores the people on foot, and considers ONLY cars. But that was 5 years ago, it should not have taken this long, we all play a part. How come those businesses weren't demanding this be solved, it's their customers that have been cut off.

The fact is, such a situation would never have been allowed to occur for car drivers, by giving credit for the original oversight, I'm being generous, but taking 5 years to fix it is unacceptable to me. The final fix being broken in this way, also unacceptable. At some point, someone has to stand up and say no, this BS cannot continue. We all thing we're progressive because we built an LRT that literally prevents people from from walking places, that has stations that are inaccessible to people on foot, the problem is not money...the problem is mindset.  That's why this makes me angry, because it just shows the mindset has not changed.

The problem is bigger than "one" obstacle, the problem is everyone being complicit in the broken system.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by danbrotherston - 05-01-2020, 01:52 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM