Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(01-05-2020, 09:39 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(01-05-2020, 09:15 PM)MidTowner Wrote: But I don't really see the need for five minutes- if the question is between ten minute and five minute frequency, yes, that's significant. But we should be at eight-minute headways now, and I can't really see the benefit of moving from seven or eight minutes to five, presuming zero capacity issues with the multiple car trains.

At seven minutes, a rider doesn't really have to check a schedule. Most of the benefits of increased frequency have been realized by that point.

Anything less than 5 mins I'm probably going to check a schedule, especially when I've got to wait outdoors and it's cold.

That said, right now I'd rather have increased off-peak service than 5 min peak service. If we could get to every 10 mins or better until 10pm Monday to Saturday I think that would be a huge improvement. Right now I often walk home and get my car if I'm going somewhere after work and will be out past the end of 10 minute service.

Everyone will have their own threshold for this, and maybe for Ion it's relatively low since (I imagine) many trips are very short in duration. I'll probably stop consulting the schedule at all once the frequency is increased, as promised, but I admit I may be an outlier. Maybe it really is five minutes, though I think it's probably somewhat higher for most people. You're right that the comfort of the wait makes a big difference.

I'm with you 100% on extending the 10-minute frequency until later. I would say earlier, too- waiting until 7:00am seems too late to me.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by MidTowner - 01-06-2020, 11:14 AM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM