Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(12-17-2019, 09:48 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(12-17-2019, 08:14 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: It's actually Windows IoT (Formerly Windows Embedded) which is different beast than Windows 10. It is designed for lightweight applications such as POS terminals, ATMs, and Card Readers where the full version of Windows is not needed. It does not have a lot of stuff that home or enterprise Windows versions have because they are not needed or useful for these types of applications. There are lots of machines out there running it that you may not even realize are running it.

As for that message that pops up on the pedestals, even though it is showing, you can still tap your card and it still works (I've done it many times). For the misread ones, usually I just tap it a second time and it works. (I have the same problem sometimes on the tap to pay interac machines in stores).

Yes, many if not most embedded systems run windows, ATMs are the funny ones, many of which were running a variant of XP up until a few years ago--it's one of the main reason support for XP was extended the last few times.  Shocking I know.

MEH! I say, MEH! I figured it was a variant of Windows. I am just surprised that this system is used at all. Not reliable. Too easily hacked. One of the issues with Windows is that drivers use DLL (dynamic linked libraries) whereas Unix uses binaries. DLL can become corrupted, and updates sometimes break them. Binaries don't suffer from the same issue, and Unix doesn't used shared files the same way as Windows. I also believe Unix binaries the drivers before user screen, while Windows is still doing it's loading of drivers even when user screen appears.

Either way, poor choice using Windows. We had this issue at a bank I worked at, and it was an old version of Windows, and Revenue Canada suffered from the same problems (Windows).

Almost all doctors and dentists revert to Apple for most applications. Just more reliable and not as hackable.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by jeffster - 12-18-2019, 02:08 AM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM