Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(11-25-2019, 04:12 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(11-25-2019, 11:07 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: As to driver enforcement, totally agreed. I have been dismayed by recent articles which seem to be saying that the number of tickets issued in recent years is way down compared to the past. Everything I said about only chumps paying applies to traffic laws too, except that there are usually safety problems with violating traffic laws.

Yep. I seem to be one of the 'losers' or 'chumps' that try to obey traffic laws.

I got my daughter and myself something from Tim Hortons on Ottawa St S across from Fireside. Came out of the driveway towards Homer Watson and we got the red light. I was watching the cars to my right just blow through the red light to make a right turn without even slowing (as Strasburg Rd had not traffic going through, they were turning left onto Ottawa). I think there needs to be more enforcement as driving abilities continue to deteriorate in the region.

Are you talking about the situation where people are turning right on red while people making the same turn in reverse (i.e., a left turn) have a green arrow?

If so, that is because they know that there is absolutely no conflicting traffic and therefore no actual need to wait. Fortunately, the Region has noticed this and has started installing right-turn green arrows. Sometimes a behaviour is harmless and the right action is to legalize it, rather than to ramp up enforcement efforts. On a larger scale, we have now finally done this with marijuana.

If you’re talking about a normal right-turn-on-red scenario, then ignore the above. For the safety of everybody but especially people attempting to walk across the street, drivers need to stop and then proceed with extreme care when making a right turn on red (or any other time, but especially on red).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by ijmorlan - 11-25-2019, 07:59 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM