Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(09-01-2019, 04:08 PM)jason897 Wrote: Maybe stuff about the fare payment system needs to be split into a separate thread now Tongue

Not a bad idea.

I think the one reality is that you'll always need to show people how to use these systems. If people are having a hard time now, they'll have a hard time in the future (simply because you'll have different people trying it for the first time).

The system in Toronto has changed a lot. I had to do some learning when navigating their system, and in particular, their LRT. My first usage I went maybe 3 stops then got off as I had no way to pay (there were no payment system at the stop, and while their was a kiosk on the LRT itself, it only took coin currency, tokens, Presto or transfers). My second time using the LRT, I was more prepared as I had pre-purchased a bunch of tokens, then some young woman came onto the LRT, equally confused as I was the first time on how to use it - with no change, no token, no transfer and no Presto. I gave her a token, and explained that she needed to also request a transfer from the kiosk.

I also had to re-learn their subway system as well. It used to be you could pay cash fair a most (if not all) stations and get change back, or at least token, but most of it is electronic now. If, for example, going to their 407 Station, one really should purchase a Presto 2-trip pass (or whatever you need). You can get that with your credit card at the station before going down to the subway, and you tap your Presto to be allowed through (which debits the Presto slip).

I have a good grip on how to use the system in Toronto now. But for first time users, these systems, which are all different for some reason, will likely always present a challenge. And to be honest, I found our system a little bit easier to use (when working correctly).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by jeffster - 09-02-2019, 12:47 AM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM