Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(08-31-2019, 01:23 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: And I do really think that usage errors are always the fault of design (within the "in context" caveat I described at the beginning). It is the job of a designer to build a system which is easy to use.  That is not to say that there aren't other tradeoffs in design, absolutes are rarely useful, and extremely infrequent errors may not be worth the effort of overcoming, but it is a principle of design that systems should be easy to use, errors should be hard to make and failing that easy an intuitive to recover from. I do highly recommend the book by Don Norman: http://www.nixdell.com/classes/HCI-and-D...dition.pdf

I think we basically actually agree, it’s just a matter of emphasis and wording.

For the record I agree that the design of a fare tap machine needs to be adjusted until substantially all the people who encounter it have little to no trouble using it the first time, and no trouble on subsequent times. If this requirement isn’t met, there is a problem, possibly a subtle one, with the affordance offered by the device.

I just don’t think it’s appropriate to “always” blame the design. But it’s not clear to me that even you think that, since in the same sentence that you say “usage errors are always the fault of design” you immediately add a parenthetical about context, and then later in the paragraph you refer to tradeoffs.

I’m sensitive to this issue because I’ve seen concerns about people having trouble using something spiral out of control. Way back I was a lab instructor for a computer science course with an absolutely enormous series of lab exercises. As far as I could tell, the reason the exercises were so enormous was because every time a student had any sort of confusion at all, a sentence or paragraph was added to try to head that off. The result was an unreasonably large document whose size was the biggest barrier to convenient use. They would have been much better leaving out most of the detailed explanations and just accepting that the lab instructors would sometimes need to answer questions from students (which was the case anyway, because people couldn’t find the information they needed in the oversized document). In other areas, I’ve seen systems lose features that are important for advanced use because of fears that people new to the system would be confused by the extra features. But it’s not reasonable to be confused by the presence of a single button labelled “Advanced…”.

Returning to the issue of the transit terminal, let’s hope they adjust the design so that it works better for riders. Although I guess all we can really expect at this point is signage, which isn’t the ideal way of resolving issues of this nature.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by ijmorlan - 09-01-2019, 10:56 AM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM