Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(08-30-2019, 09:18 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(08-30-2019, 08:54 AM)Bytor Wrote: After helping several people tap in at a kiosk at Borden Station this morning (and watching people do this for weeks, occasionally helping), I have a hypothesis as to why people think the kiosks don't seem to work.

All three people, when prompted by the kiosk to resent the card to the reader, very timorously hovering their card up just in front of the reader and got the error screen. When I asked if they ever used tap in a store with their debit or credit cards and how you have to lay your card right down on the machine to pay by tap,one woman said yes. She then got it to work right away.

The other two still held their cards in front of the sensor instead of touching it and still got the error. When I asked the second person if I could do it for them to show, I placed the card right on the sensor and the transaction was successfully. I said to the third person "See how I laid the card right on the sensor instead of holding it in front?" They nodded, tried again doing it that way and it worked for them.

I've seen similar things at the toll poles at the ends of the platforms.

So my hypothesis is this - most people having a problem aren't tapping. They are waving their fare cards near the sensor and the responding signal from the card is not strong enough or the card is not powered enough and transaction fails. Incorrect usage rather than faulty implementation.

It could be an education issue. I used to see this same issue on the busses until people got used to actually tapping the cards to the fare boxes instead of just waving them over top, and I hope that people would be able to generalize to the kiosks and toll poles but that dies not seem to be the case for some.

Incorrect usage *IS* faulty implmentation.

http://www.nixdell.com/classes/HCI-and-D...dition.pdf

I disagree. If you need to lay the card on the sensor because it has to be close enough to read the NFC's weak signal, and the user holds it up too far away, that's not faulty implementation, it's the user not following instructions. Sometimes the user is just doing things wrong.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by Bytor - 08-30-2019, 10:22 AM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM