Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
From the CBC: Some ION stations are unsafe and inaccessible, accessibility consultant says...

The article actually only mentions Fairway Station. The consultant suggests that paint is all that is needed to make it accessible, but I would respectfully question that (without being any kind of an expert, or differently abled). I think it will be hard to make it accessible given the location of the station vis a vis the mall. I see no easy solution.

It's hard for me to know what the accessibility issues are at the other stations; the design issues that affect everybody have been discussed here already. These seem like easy fixes to me for the most part, with a few exceptions.

On the topic of Willis Way, what staff relayed to plam is true, when motor traffic gets a red at Erb it really can back up to the station. But a crosswalk could be installed with a sign- 'DO NOT BLOCK CROSSWALK'- same as at many intersections. People would still cross outside the crosswalk (they're doing it at many points now), but that's no big deal, either: Caroline should be slow enough for that to be pretty safe.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by MidTowner - 07-22-2019, 08:56 AM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM