Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(07-18-2019, 07:07 AM)MidTowner Wrote:
ac3r Wrote:And another one. This says it was a "collision on LRT tracks" and doesn't explicitly say a car hit the train, but as the article says, there was visible damage and people on the train felt the impact. Two in one day...keep it up Kitchener.

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/collision-o...-1.4512562

https://twitter.com/GoldDwaggy/status/11...3533185030

Someone commuting with me this morning was on that train yesterday. There was no collision, but the train braked hard and he was thrown to the floor. He says (this is all hearsay, remember) that the train was stopped for around 25 minutes, part of that time shut down with no HVAC, before a linesman or someone showed up to inspect the train and ask if everyone was okay. He said communication from the driver was good, except for the fact that there was nothing really to communicate.

He thought there was no collision at all, but that the car was stuck on the curb between the rails and the road.

Whether or not 25 minutes was subjective or objective time, there was obviously a delay and he told me the train was quite busy. Calling out paramedics, Keolis staff, and a couple of cops, all of whom have other things they could be doing, along with wasting a few dozens or potentially a hundred commuters' time, is a huge cost. There should be a significant charge against that driver.

(07-19-2019, 06:55 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(07-19-2019, 06:20 PM)ac3r Wrote: The train I was on today was nearly hit 3 times. The first time was around Willis Way or something and the girl driving it had to slam on the brakes so hard everyone flew forward. Then around Victoria Station someone slammed on their horn and nearly hit it and then again at Ottawa Station. Finally, before pulling out she went on the speaker and asked everyone to grab onto a bar for the rest of the journey because people kept cutting her off.

If it didn't cost thousands of dollars to fix even just the bumper, it would almost be amusing.

They need to start reviewing video of these near misses and start charging these people $500 for stupid driving. It's not going to stop unless the region starts charging. As I said before, create a by-law and the region itself, and the not police, can fine people. This at least until the police start enforcing traffic laws.

Honestly...it should be more.. If fare evading can get you a ticket of over $200, hitting a train and costing the city so much money in damage and costs to remedy that needs to carry pretty big consequences. I don't know how we do it here in Toronto when this happens, but there is probably a way bigger penalty.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by ac3r - 07-19-2019, 07:22 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM