Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(07-18-2019, 08:39 AM)MidTowner Wrote:
danbrotherston Wrote:It's very likely that a collision would not be particularly perceptible to people on the train.  A small sedan weighs about a ton, the LRV weighs about 50 tons unloaded, and the braking is particularly powerful. If you watch videos of trams hitting cars, the drivers of the trams are usually not even jostled by the collision, I doubt it would be any more jarring than the usual jostling the LRV undergoes during normal operation.

His account, and the newspaper reporting does not match the position of the car that I saw and photographed (it was clear of the tracks when I came upon it, and had substantial damage to the rear quarter panel), nor the damage to the LRV (scuffs on the front right bumper and dislodging of the centre panel)...

Honestly, I cannot understand how this is still a question...are our newspapers this careless?  Is there a cover-up?

I noted that what I was relaying was hearsay because, while I don't want to accuse anyone of lying, different people are focused on different things and so remember them with different levels of clarity. I don't see any solutions to the collisions besides patience, so I would hope that the responses would be better than they seem to have been.

We're talking about two different incidents, though- are you talking about the Manulife collision yesterday morning? I was referring to an incident in Midtown yesterday afternoon (and it seems like there was more than one of those...) that supposedly did not result in a collision, just hard braking. I can personally believe that someone might lose his balance when the train brakes unexpectedly. 

Yes, sorry, we are talking about different incidents. (It's only a little frustrating that confusion is possible) I didn't accuse anyone of lying, I simply wanted to explain why it is plausible passengers may be mistaken about whether there was a collision.

I don't know the specific details of the second incident, although there are photos of the LRV with the front bumper removed and a coupler visible.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by danbrotherston - 07-18-2019, 09:23 AM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM