Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
I think it's a great idea. The problems with BRT are all political. They revolve around people's subjective perceptions and prejudice against buses in favour of trains, and the fact that BRT is easier to water down. Cambridge has "aBRT" right now (if we are still calling it that), and I think it's very good, but it's not BRT as it should be.

Our Region generally would do well with BRT lines like those of Bogota or Mexico City. These would serve roads like Highway 24 and Coronation in Cambridge, or University in KW, really well. But a lot of people in Cambridge are unlikely to see it that way, and there's a risk that anti-transit types will push to have it watered down to the point where we get little better than express bus routes with special branding that would be costly to upgrade to LRT.

In short, extensive and quality BRT everywhere in the Region would be great. Since the political will isn't there, I hope Cambridge gets Ion Phase 2 quick, so we can move on to Phase 3 on University or Victoria.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by MidTowner - 07-17-2019, 07:13 AM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM