Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(07-09-2019, 12:56 PM)bgb_ca Wrote:
(07-09-2019, 11:14 AM)KevinT Wrote: I had my first experience with fare inspection this morning.

I'd tapped in at Block Line heading north, and the inspectors apparently boarded at Central wearing the yellow Transit Security vests that I've seen before.  I didn't notice them boarding but there was an announcement "Fare inspectors onboard, show proof of payment."  The two inspectors had boarded at opposite ends and worked their way to the middle, using terminals that looked similar to restaurant debit machines but which probably also had barcode scanners in their ends (I didn't get to see a paper transfers being scanned to confirm).

Despite the train having full seats and about 20 standing passengers, they were done and had met in the middle by Grand River Hospital thanks to everyone having their cards/transfers ready for inspection due to the announcement.  As far as I could tell they didn't have to ticket or warn anybody, and they got off at Laurier / Waterloo Park station.

I was impressed by how courteous, fast, and efficient the whole process was.  Well done guys!

They can scan bar codes (I've seen it). They also caught me on a missed tap (machine appearantly didn't read my card) but just told me since I have a monthly pass (they can see that) to just be sure the machine shows the tap was successful before I walk away from it. (The bad tap was at R&T north side which sometimes displays card info instead of a registered tap).
Last week R&T showed me a monthly pass expiration of 01/05/2024, I wish. Got off at Farmers Market and when I tapped to get back on it was back to expiring this month Sad
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by ert86 - 07-09-2019, 09:05 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM