Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(07-09-2019, 08:56 AM)jamincan Wrote: Lower neighbourhood speed limits to a hard 30kph, but replace stop signs with yields? That's something I might get behind.

You could, but understand that most drivers don't know what 'yield' means. Not to mention that most people don't signal anymore either, so even if yielding was allowed, I think you'd see more accidents because you're not yielding to the correct drivers (not really your fault).

Also not sure if any solution would help in reducing LRT mishaps.

Also confused as to what the job of the police are now-a-days. We have over 800 sworn officers with a $150M budget. I can't see them all involved in major crimes all the time.

I think what needs to be done is less speed traps on those lower speed, low pedestrian streets where speed traps are easy money. More training for the police themselves to learn how to drive, as they're up there is taxi drivers at being horrible drivers, and the public does notice. They also need to break less. Where I work, for example, we're a public (government) building with a large parking lot, and it's very common for several times a day police randomly choosing a place to stop and chat with their co-workers. These should be 10 minute or 20 minute breaks (and I believe the police get paid for 8 hours work in an 8 hour shift with 2 10 minute breaks and 1 20 minute break, all paid). Not 3 45 to 75-minute breaks that they're taking. Then the police need to start blitzing for these traffic violations. For example, along the LRT line between King and Union, have 3 or 4 officers at these hotspots to ticket anyone violating any traffic law. Go to busy 3-way or 4-way stops, and ticket violators there.

Just some suggestions....
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by jeffster - 07-09-2019, 11:27 AM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM