Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(07-08-2019, 08:36 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(07-08-2019, 07:10 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote:

Wow. I do have to point out that to my knowledge the poster of the video is incorrect in that Ontario is not a “timed stop” jurisdiction — all you have to do is stop, then proceed when it is safe and everybody who has right of way is out of the way. Also when there is truly nobody around (not other traffic, not pedestrians, nobody) I really don’t see any reason why a full stop is any better than almost stopping. But some parts of the video almost look like those photos of traffic in India where everybody just edges forward until the other traffic yields.

The LRT problems, however, clearly stem from a pervasive ignoring of signals of all types.

But therein lies the problem. It's the attitude that it doesn't matter if anyone isn't around. So we start yielding at stop signs rather than stop, at a "STOP" sign. It then leads to drivers running reds when 'no one is around', and pulling other illegal maneuvers, such as what we're seeing with the LRT. Left on no-left turn red lights (example is Ottawa St S eastbound at Westmount northbound), going right on no-right turn red lights, u-turning at no u-turns. Ignoring stop signs and red lights altogether. What happens then is that people are so used to no stopping at stop signs that it becomes second nature for them disobey traffic signs. Then it goes to the no-turn red lights, no u-turns, red lights, etc. Poor driving habits is another way to put it. STOP signs are never, ever, YIELD signs, so we shouldn't ever treat like a YIELD sign.

I do recall an incident where a motorist didn't stop at a stop sign because 'no was around' and was t-boned by someone that had the right away -- but apparently came out of 'no where'. Magically, of course. The real issue was the driver in the wrong getting used to the idea of not stopping, just yields, or even timing stop signs (so you see traffic at a two-way stop, but calculate you have enough time to carry-on as if you had no stop sign safely).

I agree, though, that stop signs are not timed events. You come to a complete stop then proceed to do so if safe.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by jeffster - 07-09-2019, 10:53 AM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM