Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(07-08-2019, 01:49 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Both 511 and 512 have been hit by turning drivers so far today.

https://www.reddit.com/r/waterloo/commen...ts_so_far/?

More Info here: https://www.therecord.com/news-story/949...on-monday/

Just a reminder of how bad the drivers in KW are.

I was monitoring a 3-way stop down the street from where I live, not even an hour out there, but I counted to 500 vehicles (none bus and motorcycle): Of those cars, 390 didn't come to a complete stop. Of those 110 did stop, all but 5 had no other cars to compete. Of the 93 cars that had no cars to compete with, only 5 stopped. A total of 17 cruisers (police vehicles non-emergency) came to the 3-way stopped, only one actually slowed down to a crawl (not a complete stop), but the other 16 just 'yielded', 15 of those came when there was competing traffic. 3 ambulances came by, all stopped (this included 1 that stopped with no other cars in sight). One emergency vehicle came by, a fire truck, they stopped (as there were other vehicles). 3 City of Kitchener vehicles came by, they all stopped. The all 3 had "traffic", though 2 of those vehicles where turning right and had no competing traffic. Excluding from the above was 27 motorcyclists, only 2 of which slowed down and the rest just blew past the sign. There were 4 GRT busses, excluded from the totals, all stopped --- though for the one bus, it had to stop regardless as the bus stop is close to the stop sign. Of the 9 taxi's that came by, 1 stopped.

My take on the issue then is simple. We're poor drivers. Police are the absolute worst drivers by far. And there is zero enforcement on this matter. And this is why we're seeing the accidents we're seeing. Not because of poor design, but because of bad habits, lack of enforcement, and the police themselves breaking the law 24/7 in non-emergency situations (city vehicles, GRT, and other EMS vehicles all obeyed the traffic signs).

My totals:

531 vehicles (includes busses and motorcycles):
Obedience rate: 21.4% (114/531)
Vehicles (non-government/non-motorcyle): 21.6% (103/476)
All EMS: 19% (4/21)
All gov: 39.3% (11/28)
All gov and EMS MINUS police: 100% (11/11) (City of Kitchener 3/3 and EMS 4/4, GRT 4/4)
Police only: 0% (0/17)
Motorcylists: 0% (0/27) (includes 3 police motorcycles)

And, this is why we have issues.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by jeffster - 07-08-2019, 06:53 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM