Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(07-03-2019, 04:50 PM)KevinT Wrote:
(07-02-2019, 02:50 PM)KevinT Wrote: it made me wonder why on earth the podiums don't make a sound? A simple mid-pitch Bing for a valid tap and low pitched Brrrrrrt! for an invalid one would be extremely helpful for both the visually impaired and the traveller on the go. It seems weird for the podiums to be completely silent. I also found the screens hard to see without shading them with my hand, adding even more value proposition to combining the display with sound.

Happy to report that Canard raised the issue with them on twitter and the response was favourable:

Again regarding the sounds, yesterday I was looking at the transaction history on my EasyGO card and my most recent trip was there but the the one from the night before was missing. On my way home last night I believe I figured out why: I tapped on the podium at R&T Park and heard the (very quiet) bing, but when I looked at the screen it showed that my card was valid and displayed the balance but had not actually deducted a fare. I had to tap it again (and look at the screen again) to see that a fare was deducted.

I think what happened was that someone ahead of me had pushed a button on the podium, and that button push either had no timeout or an extremely long one. So even though I didn't see anyone near the podium before I came along, their button push modified my first tap into a card status check rather than a fare charge / transfer. Even if the bing had been louder, it would not have been sufficient to convey that a valid fare was deducted from my card.

They really need to have some unambiguous sounds, and I really need to compile all of my feedback/suggestions into a well written letter...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by KevinT - 07-05-2019, 12:22 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM