Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
jeffster Wrote:
Rainrider22 Wrote:You nailed it.  It is this attitude which creates a stigma for transit users.  I wish I could use it more...

Ok, so I'll put it out there: even it was semi-true, isn't that the point? Why does it matter who uses it? So what if it was 75% student? They be people too!

The line from the article was "given the great reluctance of anyone other than students to ride the existing transit system." That suggests both that the lion's share of ridership is students (it's a little less than half), and that the small relative number of other people who use it do so "reluctantly." This all has to do with the arguments about "choice" ridership, and to what extent our transit system should be lifeline.

I'll answer your question "Why does it matter who uses it?" It matters because different people want different types of service. If you buy the author's argument and believe ridership is 75% student (it's not), and that the remainder of the people are on there because they have little choice, then you'll support service a certain way. And that would make sense, if it were true. That matters to me, because I want to take transit, I want good transit service, I'm a commuter not a student, and I don't live near the Universities.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by MidTowner - 07-05-2019, 07:13 AM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM